Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should I avoid ill family this weekend?

(5 Posts)
marie2014 Sat 29-Mar-14 13:04:27

A number of my beloved family are full of colds and viruses and are still planning to meet up to celebrate mothers day - I'm 10weeks today and have been resting due to SCH (so bit more paranoid than might be) - am I being ott by staying away? I know I can't build a bubble around myself but this is one thing I could avoid...

K8eee Sat 29-Mar-14 13:41:19

I think I'd judge on how bad their colds are. I caught a pretty nasty cold and chesty cough in my second trimester and felt awful for nearly 2 weeks as I had to let nature take its course and could only take mild medication. If it's just a sniffle and a runny nose I'd probably chance it unless the person I was visiting advised that I don't go round (always helps!) do they know you're pregnant yet or are you waiting until 12 weeks?

CoolCat2014 Sat 29-Mar-14 13:42:10

Viruses are prob best avoided as there are some that aren't good for pregnant ladies, but really your choice!

marie2014 Sat 29-Mar-14 13:51:10

Thanks both - they all know (so at least I won't have to come up with a convoluted excuse!). Think I'll give it a miss just to be safe.

lilyblue5 Sat 29-Mar-14 15:49:06

I avoided everyone who showed any sign of illness for the first 12 weeks, it's just not worth getting I'll as your feeling rubbish enough already. Now at 20 weeks I'm still very careful but not so paranoid. I'd read someone that a fever is not good for baby especially during the first 12 weeks so for me a risk not worth taking!!! I still make sure people I'm going to see are well before I go over, as coolcat2014 said, some things are best avoided while pregnant, I find people very understanding though. Good luck ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now