Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Constant and increasing 'period pain' at 36+6 - I'm at my wits end (sorry - another Am I In Labour thread)

(5 Posts)
kjh5 Sat 29-Mar-14 04:16:28

This is my first baby so hoping to tap into the collective MN experience here! I started having what I can only describe as period pain yesterday at around midday - I've had a few niggles like this before so I expected it to ease off after an hour or so but it has steadily gotten worse over the past 16 hours. It's a pretty constant ache and although the pain level has increased and seems to be radiating into my back - it hasn't developed into anything resembling what I'd expect to be regular (or even irregular) 'waves' of contractions. I've had no show and no sign of my waters breaking. The baby has been moving normally throughout so I'm not too worried about him.

The consensus seems to be 'if you have to ask then you aren't in labour' but I'm kind of at my wits end here. The pain is just about manageable but it's constant and really beginning to make me feel miserable! I guess it would be more bearable if I knew there was going to be a baby arriving shortly but I'm worried going to have to put up with this for the next three weeks!

Sid77 Sat 29-Mar-14 04:27:47

Is 36+6 considered a bit early? Not sure if that makes a difference but I'd call your labour ward. There will be someone there and they will chat to you and advise you. Always worth speaking to someone if you're not sure.

Surprisethird Sat 29-Mar-14 06:25:41

Hi, I had this similar a few weeks ago and turned out to be a water infection, maybe worth nipping in to let them test your water,

Blondieminx Sat 29-Mar-14 06:45:00

Anything from 37wks is normal gestation which the OP nearly is smile

We have 2 34weekers in our antenatal class group and they are the biggest lads in the group grin

Go and get checked over, sounds like a water infection and best to put your mind at rest. No one will think you're being silly, honest x

kjh5 Sat 29-Mar-14 06:54:22

Thanks so much for all your advice. I called the hospital and came straight in. Turns out it may well be a UTI giving me mild contractions. At the hospital now - they have been lovely and properly checked over me and the baby. Just waiting to see if the doc is going to give me antibiotics or send me home to monitor the situation

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now