Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

is it normal to feel like this about my 3 year old?

(19 Posts)
MrsAtticus Fri 28-Mar-14 16:57:38

I am over 40 weeks pregnant and have a lovely 3 year old. He's been at nursery all day, and his dad decided to take him to work with him tonight, and I was sooo relieved that I didn't have to spend the next few hours working out how to keep him busy. I've been feeling like this a lot lately, and then feel really guilty as he is really a lovely little boy.
So now I'm doing exactly what I want - sat in front of the computer with a cuppa, and can get some cleaning done before they get home.
I feel awful for not enjoying spending time with him, will this feeling go once I've had the baby? I considered putting this is aibu but don't think my hormones can stand the flack so please be gentle!

canadajin Fri 28-Mar-14 17:12:19

Give yourself a break! You are 40 weeks pregnant! Toddlers are exhausting when you are running at 100% never mind about to give birth.

Rest up smile

CarolineKnappShappey Fri 28-Mar-14 17:13:49

Goodness yes! Perfectly normal.

Ask yourself, do you love your DS? If the answer is yes, everything g will be fine.

Tory79 Fri 28-Mar-14 17:16:16

I hope so! I'm only 13 weeks pregnant but frankly I live for the couple of afternoons a week ds spends with his grandma..... We all need time off, and frankly I think it makes me a better parent to have that break. (Although having said that, ds is with grandma now and yet we spent the morning playing games on the iPad.....oops)

lastnightopenedmyeyes Fri 28-Mar-14 17:19:14

Totally normal and in my experience (currently 8 weeks in with new baby and 3.5 yr old son) it does get so much easier once the baby arrives. Best of luck smile

MrsAtticus Fri 28-Mar-14 17:25:46

Oh thank you, I feel much better now - i'll enjoy the break then smile

giveadogabonio Fri 28-Mar-14 17:33:28

I feel like this all the time about my 3 year old.

I'm not even pregnant grin

AnnieLobeseder Fri 28-Mar-14 17:39:42

Oh good grief, where do some people get this idea that parents should want to be around their children all the time! grin Did you see that thread the other day where people were describing parenthood in one word? The one most often used was "relentless". Cos it is. Everyone needs a break from the constant worry and demands, especially when they're 40 weeks pregnant and about to get no rest at all for a few months. Enjoy yourself!!!

MrsAtticus Fri 28-Mar-14 17:50:16

congratulations lastnight glad it's going well.
And to those in early pregnancy, you have my complete sympathy, it's horrendous, must say I feel better now than I did back then.

rachyconks Fri 28-Mar-14 17:52:26

My 16 month old was off nursery all last week with hand foot & mouth and I'm 40 weeks too. It was one of the longest weeks of my life. I completely sympathise! I can't wait for the baby to come so I can be a mum again instead of a beached whale!!

OrangeMochaFrappucino Fri 28-Mar-14 17:56:12

Yep, love having a break now at 36 weeks and certainly back in the grip of hyperemesis in the first half of pregnancy. I love spending time with my 3yo but get tired, my back aches playing on the floor and I feel guilty for not being fun and active and relying so much on the tv. When he is at pre-school I feel so happy that he is having fun and interacting with others and I can lie down! Then I am refreshed for his return and extra-appreciate all the cuddles.

MissCalamity Fri 28-Mar-14 18:55:28

I could have written your post!
35+6, just finished work today for mat leave & 4YO DS is shouting the house down, my eyes are ready for closing & I've just bawled at him & DP to get out of my sight!

The house needs cleaning & some sort of tea should have been done but I'm just too bloody tired & tetchy! When will this end?!

Tea1Sugar Fri 28-Mar-14 19:14:05

36+3 and already planning how to keep my 3yo busy when nursery finishes next week for Easter!

FoodieMum3 Fri 28-Mar-14 19:54:55

I'm laughing to myself here thinking how blissful it was to be pregnant with no.1. I used to get up at 11am every day for the last few weeks, we ate out most evenings, had feet up all day watching TV. ahh...

I'm on my 3rd now and my youngest is 2. I find her EXHAUSTING, physically and mentally. It's non stop. How much we love them goes without saying but yes it is hard and I do find myself counting down the hours (!) to her bed time. I would kill for some ME time and I'm only 16w.

Very best of luck with your impending delivery.

Now if only my dh had a job that allowed toddlers to work wink

theborrower Fri 28-Mar-14 19:58:45

Oh gosh, of course it's ok. I certainly hope so anyway as this morning I cried in frustration that DD was bouncing all over the shop wanting stories etc, but I've been I'll with laryngitis for four weeks and I'm fed up, pregnant, tired. I just wanted some peace! She gave me a nice cuddle though smile

Enjoy your rest while you can, OP, you'll have your hands full before you know it!

SicknSpan Fri 28-Mar-14 23:27:12

I am on no.3 and felt like thIs last time, and again now. I am not quite as far along as you- 31 weeks- but remember this feeling. Only said to dh yesterday how I felt a bit guilty about it! I just want to spend my time with him, he's like my comfort blanket at the moment and I don't want anyone else intruding. Makes me feel guilty but I still give my boys (9 and 5) lots of love, just breathe a bigger than normal sigh of relief at bedtimes smile

I'm putting it down to needing to prepare mentally (if not consciously) for birth and having a new baby. I still love my wonderful dc just as much but need some head space and quiet time to myself in order to do my best for all my family.

Don't be too hard on yourself Op. You've got an important job to do and deserve a bit of room to hunker down!

ithoughtofitfirst Sat 29-Mar-14 09:32:35

Bless you!

Totally normal.

ToriaPumpkin Sat 29-Mar-14 09:50:47

I'm the same. 2yo DS is a lovely little boy, but this last week he's been tightroping along every last nerve I've got! He's been unwell so I feel bad but I'm 35 weeks with SPD (have crutches) and DH has been working every hour God sends so I've been on my knees.

Fortunately we have two sets of grandparents nearby who have taken him off my hands as much as they can. Doesn't stop the guilt, even when my step dad takes him out on his bike (his favourite thing ever that I physically can't do atm). Every day I say we'll do more, and every day I put a film on so we can sit and cuddle on the sofa. Ho hum. He particularly likes Cars and Despicable Me grin

ladythatlunches Sat 29-Mar-14 18:21:54

hi yes totally normal.

I even felt like it when new baby came if baby was asleep and my little one was running about , I would think I wish I could nap too but couldn't.

you have days when you are tired and just had enough of it all, but seeing you big baby with your little one makes it all worth while and it will get easier.

my little ones are currently in bed and older ones roaming and I think I could just jump in a hot bath cuddle up in bed a read a good book smile

everyone deserves some me time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now