Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Advice regarding a possible c section

(4 Posts)
Lottystar Thu 27-Mar-14 19:59:34

Ladies, hoping I may get some advice. I have two young children (2&3). I'm now 15 weeks pregnant. I was referred to an obstetrician by my midwife as I have had a problem with my bladder since the birth of my last ds. Basically, it's a form of urinary retention. I find it very hard to fully empty my bladder in one sitting. It takes me a few visitations to the loo to get relief and as a result I get more UTIs and kidney infections. Apparently this was caused by the trauma of my last birth - my little boy was relatively big (just under 9lbs) but had a wide head and shoulders and came out very quickly. I didn't push actively or consciously at all! I gave birth in Germany, the midwife didn't understand me nor I, her, and I had no pain relief at all as they delayed the gas and air (rarely used in Germany) and left my epidural too late. Anyway, due to my bladder issue I would have to be regularly catheterised during a natural labour and if the baby is on the larger size more damage could be done to my bladder. I'm 35 and not ready for real bladder issues. This is my last baby and I'm leaning towards an elective c-section, which the obstetrician suggested, but I'm frightened about the procedure and recovery time when I have young children. Anyone been in a similar situation and can advise? Incidentally both my children were natural births and despite my last experience I'm not afraid of natural child birth or too posh to push.

MrsSpencerReid Thu 27-Mar-14 20:04:51

I had an elective section with ds2 when ds1 was 21m it was a few weeks till I was able to carry ds1 carefully and I took it easy, however I was up and about within 48h the hardest part was not being able to drive for 6w! The actual op itself was quick and straightforward. I had a catheter in until the next morning. Your other children are a bit older so hopefully wouldn't need as much carrying up stairs/lifting into cot etc, good luck for the rest of your pregnancy grin

Lottystar Fri 28-Mar-14 12:46:55

Thanks for replying, that's reassuring. I just realised I should have probably posted this in the childbirth forum smile

FrauEnglischLehrerin Fri 28-Mar-14 13:08:29

I had an elective section with my dd due to breech positioning. The op itself was very quick (20 min) and far less scary than I expected. Once I managed to get out of bed without collapsing (36h later) recovery was quite rapid.

Can someone be there to help with your older kids for the first few weeks? I know I found things like walking a distance that I had done easily when heavily pg very tiring a couple weeks after the cs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now