Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Paranoid/Anxious About Bleach - please help!

(6 Posts)
AnxiousAnnie1 Tue 25-Mar-14 12:37:08

Hi,

So this may just be me being incredibly paranoid but I need some advice/help.

Without thinking I cleaned my flat with Domestos Bleach Spray the other day - the kitchen & the bathroom - I was worried for a while that breathing this in may have caused damage and possible miscarriage but I reasoned that women clean throughout their whole pregnancies and are okay and when I asked my nurse she said that there hasn't been enough research into these kind of things but not to dwell on anything as I'll send myself crazy.

My biggest worry since tho is that I used the bleach spray in the fridge to wipe down some of the shelves. I squired a few sprays in - the fridge was pretty much empty but I left the milk etc in there as I was just quickly spritzing the shelves. Could smell the bleach in there for a few days after - have now read that you're never meant to bleach your fridge like that and I'm terrified that bleach particles could have got into my food/drink either the ones already in there or ones added since and I've now ingested that and got it into my bloodstream sending it around to my LO.

Am I just being completely over the top!? Please help.

callamia Tue 25-Mar-14 12:42:51

Many of us bleach our whole homes in the good name of nesting. I would assume that you and your baby will be well. If you couldn't taste any bleach when you are it drank, then I'd guess that any ingested particles would be teeny tiny and not important.

bonzo77 Tue 25-Mar-14 12:46:39

I think you will be fine. You do sound very anxious. If you continue to feel like this, or have done frequently in the past it might be worth chatting with your GP or MW. Pregnancy and babies are hard enough without feeling constantly anxious too.

CoolCat2014 Tue 25-Mar-14 13:16:56

I'm sure you'll be fine, unless you actually drank the stuff! Please try to not worry, and just maybe use a little less in the coming months.

moregranny Tue 25-Mar-14 14:49:43

I visited my daughter one morning when she was expecting her first baby, the house smelt so strongly of bleach/cleaning products that I opened all the doors and windows for my own safety never mind her and bump.....................they survived, she is expecting no2 and no1 is currently asleep on my sofa :-) you will be fine honest, x

squizita Tue 25-Mar-14 14:56:31

* I was worried for a while that breathing this in may have caused damage and possible miscarriage*

No, don't worry, it won't. Cleaning your fridge WILL protect you from lysteria though, a good thing. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now