Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Headaches

(6 Posts)
FirsttimerG Mon 24-Mar-14 22:53:32

I am 11 weeks pregnant and am suffering from crippling headaches (can't manage sentences, forgetting stuff, just want to sleep)

I have been taking paracetamol when they become unbearable but does anyone have any tips as to how to prevent them?

So need a break from them!!

K8eee Mon 24-Mar-14 22:57:26

Hi first timer. I feel your pain I suffered awfully through my first and second trimester. I think it's all to do with your hormones. paracetamol didn't touch them when I took them. All I can suggest is laying down in bed, in the dark, eyes a hut, peace and quiet and one thing that helped me was anything really cold on my head. I wrapped a bag of ice in a tea towel and shoved it on my head. its the only thing that numbed the pain. I told my mw but she wasn't concerned envy angry mine got that bad I would cry, or I was being sick they made me feel that rubbish. hope yours aren't as bad thanks

hartmel Tue 25-Mar-14 03:53:45

With my first I didn't had any headaches but with this one it is crazy. I can't get my housework done, plus I have 6 1/2 month old boy. Sometimes I just cry because I can't handle the headache. What helped me till now is a nice massage from my husband especially neck massage. And warm bath with bath salt.

Congrats on your pregnancy and I hope the headaches won't bother you to long..

Chells Tue 25-Mar-14 04:06:27

Pls see your doctor hon! I had same probs and turned out to be a combo of preggie hormones and blood pressure. Sounding like migraine symptoms ( poor focus, issues with speech) too, so they may be able to give you something that can keep you functional confused
Massage, Pilates/ yoga may help too. I hope it improves soon!!

Mintymoomoo Tue 25-Mar-14 07:33:36

I'm 14 weeks and suffering to, bloody snniying they are like pressure headaches, woke up with one this morning!

I don't recall them in my last 3 pregnancies but they were nearly 11,9 &7 years ago so maybe I'm just forgetting!

Horrible though

mopsytop Tue 25-Mar-14 11:03:03

FirstTimer, I feel your pain. I suffered from crippling migraines 5-6 days a week for the first 4 months of my last pregnancy. So, hopefully yours will calm down also when you get into the second trimester.

I found meditation and yoga to be helpful, also massage, also ice packs/cool damp towel on my forehead, but to be honest, I just had to sit through them. They frequently made me vomit and reduced me to tears with the pain. I felt so helpless, my GP was less than useless.

I take anti-migraine medication every day, and I stopped it last time I was pregnant, which I imagine didn't help. I am trying to get pregnant again and have talked to my (new) GP who has much more experience of migraines, and he said it is fine to continue my medication, so fingers crossed if I get pregnant again it won't be as bad.

Definitely go and talk to your GP and demand to be taken seriously. If they try and fob you off, go and see another GP. My GP was rubbish and I was feeling so crap I didn't challenge it, but in fact the whole time I could have been safely taking my anti-migraine medication. I found this out in the last week of my pregnancy when I was in hospital with high BP and the obstetrician told me. She said GPs often advise things to 'be on safe side' when they don't actually have any in-depth knowledge of the situation. She said there was no risk with my medication and I could have been taking it the whole time. So go and talk to GP and be bolshy if they don't want to listen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now