Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Positive test today - 10k run tomorrow. Help!

(18 Posts)
Custardmiteofglut Sat 22-Mar-14 14:12:51

My company is taking part in a 10k run tomorrow, which I agreed to do months ago - I've even been vaguely training and did 5k this morning.

I've been feeling 'not quite right' for about a week and I'm 2 days late, so I POAS at lunchtime (post-run) and it's positive, which is great, despite not being planned.

Now, should I do the 10k run tomorrow, feign injury and walk it or not go at all?

WWYD?

Dirtymistress Sat 22-Mar-14 14:14:29

It's fine to do it. You shouldn't take up running on finding out you are pregnant, but if you already are a runner, carry on.

Limakilobravo Sat 22-Mar-14 14:14:56

Yeah go for it! If you've been training your body is already conditioned to exercise

tumbletumble Sat 22-Mar-14 14:16:22

This will not hurt your baby. Enjoy!

C0smos Sat 22-Mar-14 14:17:04

Unless you're feeling ill I would do it, just keep an eye on your heart rate. My trainer suggested keeping mine below 140bpm so you might want to run walk if you have to.

I kept running as long as I could in pregnancy as I was fairly fit before hand. I stopped running at about 24 weeks due to sciatica

Good luck

Custardmiteofglut Sat 22-Mar-14 14:17:57

Thanks ladies. I'm not a runner per say, but could probably jog my way round, with a few walking breaks too.

I'll just be extra exhausted on Monday!

birdsnotbees Sat 22-Mar-14 14:19:35

I ran a half marathon when 7 weeks pregnant (as it turned out). The strapping 6 yr old by my side is evidence it didn't do him any harm!

Custardmiteofglut Sat 22-Mar-14 14:19:41

Good tip C0smos, I've got a HRM somewhere, just needs new batteries.

Forago Sat 22-Mar-14 14:22:29

I think it is fine if you're run a bit before. I found out I was pg with dc3 when I was skiiing at 8 weeks - I was fine just a bit more tired.

Don't overdo it and push yourself too hard and it will be fine I think

weebairn Sat 22-Mar-14 14:44:33

I did some running in first trimester, it's ok. Just listen to your body.

and congratulations!! Hope the unplanned-ness is ok and not too stressful for you.

Custardmiteofglut Sat 22-Mar-14 14:53:08

Thanks Forago and weebairn. I'll be cautious as I go tomorrow.

Assuming it sticks it'll be our no. 2 DC. Both DH and me want 2 DC but it's about 4-6 months earlier than we had originally planned. It's a surprise but a very welcome one.

weebairn Sat 22-Mar-14 14:55:35

That's lovely. smile

You can't really do the baby any harm. When I say listen to your body I just mean you might be a bit more tired/breathless than usual, so look after yourself. But if you're only just pregnant there might be no difference at all.

milz2014 Sat 22-Mar-14 15:18:37

It's up to you. As long as you listen to your body,there's no reason not to do it. I was still running marathon distance at 26 weeks.

peeapod Sat 22-Mar-14 15:21:34

id make sure someone knows your in the early stages of pregnancy, so that if anything happens on the run you dont have to explain it, or for eg if you faint or anything then they will know.

if you dont feel comfortable doing that then make sure that information is somewhere on you on a piece of paper thats really obvious what it is..

Foodylicious Sat 22-Mar-14 15:31:17

Logically I agree with those above who say go for it!
Emotionally, I understand the worry.
If you are in any doubt walk it, maybe feign a knee injury that perhaps happened on your 5k run today? it's just not worth the worry.
Its only one day, I am sure your team will not hold it against you!

Thistledew Sat 22-Mar-14 15:39:41

Will you be given a paper number to wear? If so, you could write on the reverse of it that you are pregnant. It is common to write medical issues there so the event organisers will look for it if anything should happen. But as others have said, you should be absolutely fine if you are already used to running.

Oh, and congratulations by the way!thanks

CrispyFB Sat 22-Mar-14 18:05:05

It's totally and utterly fine because you're already a runner.

The 140bpm guidelines are very old fashioned. I get that when I brisk walk - I seem to have a much higher heartbeat than the average even when marathon-fit, it's crazy. These days doctors go by "perceived exertion" so if you can't talk, you're overdoing it. But this early it isn't really an issue.

Most of the issues surrounding exercise are to do with impact and risk of falling etc which don't matter right at the start as the baby hasn't even got a placenta, let alone one which might become detached! Or risk of increased injury to yourself with the different hormones circulating - but again, this early there's no more of a build-up than you'd get on a monthly basis anyway really.

Congratulations!!

Custardmiteofglut Sat 22-Mar-14 20:32:30

Thank you all again.

I'll take it steady tomorrow, but will have a go at running as much as I can of the race. My DH is coming so he'll keep an eye on me.

Lots of water and a steady pace should see me through!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now