Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Are there any sleeping pills that are ok to take during pregnancy?

(12 Posts)
Heatherbell1978 Fri 21-Mar-14 07:50:35

I'm 19 wks and just not sleeping at all. I barely have a bump so put it down to an over active mind as I've got quite a lot on just now. I have no issues getting to sleep but always wake up 3/4am and then just lie there for hours.......it's really starting to get me down and I'm exhausted.

I've never taken anything to help me sleep before but just wondering if anyone has any recommendations that are safe?

Inglori0us Fri 21-Mar-14 08:34:33

I feel for you. I've suffered terribly throughout this pregnancy. I dint think there's anything you can take from the pharmacy. I asked mw and pharmacist and they said no.
Saying that I was at hospital getting some low dose codeine for a bad viral ear infection last week and the nurse did say there are some mild sleeping tablets you can prescribe to pregnant women so it's worth asking.
Also I've been told rescue remedy is fine but I've not tried it. There's a night time one.
I used self hypnosis recordings I downloaded from the net. They definitely helped me get to sleep but I still woke up a lot and struggled to get back to sleep as I didn't want to wake DH up playing them in the middle of the night.
Yoga is the most effective thing I did. The nights after my class I slept really well.
Hope you find some relief. It really is bleak when you can't rest.

Foxeym Fri 21-Mar-14 08:34:59

No I don't think you can take anything for sleep, unfortunately sleep is severely lacking in pregnancy sad

RaRa1988 Fri 21-Mar-14 09:22:21

I take valerian root tablets. I was told they were safe by the herbologist, and there's certainly no warnings against using them. I've been using them on and off for weeks now. Boots sell them.

britnay Fri 21-Mar-14 10:24:11

As Valerian Root is a herbal remedy and not a licensed medicine, it will not have undergone nearly the same amount of clinical trials. I think it is still inconclusive as to whether or not it is safe to take during pregnancy, so I would strongly advise you to avoid taking it during pregnancy.

RaRa1988 Fri 21-Mar-14 10:27:52

True, but nothing is tested on pregnant women - paracetamol is pretty much the only thing that can be guaranteed safe; with other things, it's generally judged on balance of risk.

Seeline Fri 21-Mar-14 10:49:37

The meds I was given for 'morning' sickness were actually anti histamines that made me really dopey. You'd need to check with your GP though before taking any. THe pharmacist wouldn't sell me a replacement pack when I finished the prescription pack, and I had to go back to the GPs to get a new prescription.

jojopea Fri 21-Mar-14 16:52:54

The antihistamine promethazine (phenergan) can be prescribed for insomnia during pregnancy. I am on 25mg a night and it has been great to sleep after practically no sleep for months. You have to stop taking it two weeks before birth or baby needs to be monitored when born. It can be brought over the counter without prescription but i think best to talk to GP first. Good luck with whatever you try.

Kveta Fri 21-Mar-14 16:56:13

I was allowed to take cetirizine (zirtek) during pg to help me sleep - not sure it works for everyone as I think it's meant to be non-drowsy, but it always knocks me out. I tried self-hypnosis but ended up arguing with the CD, which didn't help! Good luck, pregnancy insomnia is the absolute pits, and I say that as someone who has non-sleeping children - being pregnant was so so much worse, because I should have been sleeping with nobody there to wake me up!! so galling!

Seeline Fri 21-Mar-14 16:57:31

phenergan was what I had for morning sickness - so no wonder I was a bit dopey!!

Heatherbell1978 Fri 21-Mar-14 20:30:39

Thanks everyone, I might try the antihistamines. What's worrying me is that it's just going to get worse! I'm normally a good sleeper and struggle after a sleepless night so the thought of going through this for months is tough!

Sweetpea86 Fri 21-Mar-14 21:36:14

Feel for you Hun, my first and beginning of 2nd tri I was the same shattered feel asleep ok but 3am wide awake would drop off 1 hr before my alarm would go off. It really did take its toll.

It did wear off about 23 weeks and I'm now 36 weeks and the lack of sleep has started up again sad I fell alseep this afternoon for an hour and half. Regret it now coz I'll be wide awake all night but I couldn't keep my eyes open.

I don't think we can take any thing just another joy of pregnancy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now