Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I have forgotten what babies sleep in. Advice?

(20 Posts)
weebigmamma Thu 20-Mar-14 13:36:21

All I can remember from 10 years ago is that my partner liked co sleeping and I didn't. We ended up buying a bedside cot which we still have and we'll use it again as it was a good compromise, but can they use it from birth? Or do they need to sleep in a moses basket first? I feel quite thick for not knowing this lol.

Loopylouu Thu 20-Mar-14 13:40:53

I have the same confusion!

My ds is 11, so it's been a while.

Co slept with him, but for various reasons I am not doing that again.

I've got a normal cot, small bedroom so it's only 3feet away.

Also got a Moses basket to go next to my bed.

Loopylouu Thu 20-Mar-14 13:41:57

Oh and I'm sure bedside cot is fine from birth. Would probably have got one myself by there's no way I'd fit one in.

weebigmamma Thu 20-Mar-14 13:54:32

Thanks Loopy! Nurses keep saying 'och sure you've done this all before!' but I can hardly remember anything about baby care haha!

Loopylouu Thu 20-Mar-14 14:04:21

I get the same comments!

I have no clue what to do with a baby at all! I'm fine with children from about 8 years plus, but before that age, I seem to have forgotten everything. I must have bathed ds hundreds of times as a baby, but the thought of bathing this one brings me out in a cold sweat! As for feeding, what clothes they wear, how many blankets etc, I am clueless.

HolgerDanske Thu 20-Mar-14 14:11:06

Sometimes babies sleep better in small beds like moses baskets or cribs, because the enclosed feeling helps them to feel more secure. But not all babies are like that. A bedside cot is just fine for a newborn.

smile

weebigmamma Thu 20-Mar-14 14:22:28

lol @loopy. Same here! I think I tried to bath my first too often anyway and she really hated it. I do remember getting rid of the room thermometer because room was bloody freezing and nobody was sleeping including the baby haha!

Thanks Holger!

Loopylouu Thu 20-Mar-14 14:29:49

I bathed ds every night for a few weeks, he just screamed. Until I met a much more experienced mother who asked me how many chimneys I had him sweeping to get so dirty grin.

He didn't get bathed so often after that.

weebigmamma Thu 20-Mar-14 14:51:07

Hahahaha!

JustDanni Fri 21-Mar-14 09:36:36

We got a crib for first few months.
can also use a sturdy travel cot...

I wont be sleeping with baby as I wriggle a lot!
You can pick up a crip nice and cheap on any facebook buy swap and sell groups or local baby sales.
Didn't see the point in breaking the bank with a new on for only a few months of use.

HazleNutt Fri 21-Mar-14 10:30:41

bedside cots are great and suitable for newborns. The advice is to keep him in the same room for all naps though, so you would probably want something else for daytime, when you're probably mostly in living room or kitchen - we had a hammock, but other people use moses baskets, pram carrycots, sleepyhead pillows, cribs etc.

tabulahrasa Fri 21-Mar-14 10:34:16

They sleep in whatever you put them in smile

I had a moses basket in the living room and a cot in the bedroom and they went into both from day one...though newborns look sooooooooo tiny in a cot, lol.

YarnyStasher Fri 21-Mar-14 10:37:54

DD was in the Moses basket for a few weeks but moved very quickly to the cot. I think if we had another we'd put them straight in the cot.

DD slept in the carrycot in the living room during the day until she learned to sit up. Now she naps in her cot upstairs.

weebigmamma Fri 21-Mar-14 16:19:49

Thanks all! I will set up the cot at the weekend. I am having a section so it will be easier to access baby if he's in the bed side cot. We have a carry cot on a stand for downstairs. I am almost wondering if we should do naps in a travel cot though. When my girl was a baby she got used to napping in her cot and then literally would NOT nap anywhere else. I used to be so jealous of people whose kids would sleep in their buggy. If she didn't get to her cot then she'd stay awake and cry a lot lol. But maybe carry cot for the first while anyway.
Thank you- very helpful!

YarnyStasher Fri 21-Mar-14 19:16:22

Ah, if you're having a section you might want to think about the bedside cot. It's pretty difficult to get out if bed post-section. But I've never had much involvement with bedside cots and it will only be the first couple of weeks you'll struggle.

weebigmamma Fri 21-Mar-14 19:22:20

But if I was using the carrycot it would be beside the bed too. The cot is at least on wheels so I could push it out of the way.

YarnyStasher Sat 22-Mar-14 06:48:33

I didn't realise they were on wheels smile

weebigmamma Sat 22-Mar-14 09:15:28

Our one is. Now I'm worrying that in my post-preggo stupor I might wheel it out of the way and forget that the baby's still in it lol. Better ask other half to watch out for that! ;-)

JosieMcDozie Sat 22-Mar-14 12:50:24

Could you use a normal cot with one side off next to the bed do you think??

weebigmamma Sat 22-Mar-14 13:32:58

That's what our bedside cot is. It's great and we used it up until the last child was a toddler.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now