Talk

Advanced search

donated clothes ettiquette

(8 Posts)
qazxc Thu 20-Mar-14 12:48:48

I am 26 weeks pregnant and already knee deep in baby clothes. SIL has been dropping or giving DP all the clothes that her DD has grown out of/doesn't need.
I am really grateful but there are so many I don't think we could possibly use them all. Is it bad form to offer some of them to friends that are having a baby or donate them? They are all in good nick, some never worn still with tags on. SIL has never mentioned wanting them back at any stage, and they are not gifts bought especially for the baby IKKWIM.

BlueChampagne Thu 20-Mar-14 12:59:35

Double-check she doesn't want them back. Then, if she's given them to you, they're yours to do with as you please. However, if you have a puker, you may need more than you think!

ChicaMomma Thu 20-Mar-14 12:59:59

I'll take them!!! LOL

Donate a portion of them to friends- but not too many- she'll be keeping an eye out for the more obvious outfits on your baby!

The one thing i would say is try to get the word out that any baby presents that you'll get after birth should be nappies.. as you clearly wont need yet more Next Babygros! Just mention it in passing when with friends and family- ''wow, it's great, we have all the babyclothes we need which is fantastic! so really all i'm going to need to buy is nappies...'' hint hint !!

Irishmammybread Thu 20-Mar-14 16:39:30

I would definitely check she doesn't want them back,even if she hasn't said, either to reuse herself in the future or to give to someone else of her choice.
I've been given a few things from friends and have asked each time if they want anything for the items or want them back afterwards, if not, I've told them the charity I'll be passing them on to after my baby has finished with them.
It's no harm asking her the question.

sleeplessbunny Thu 20-Mar-14 16:41:55

You should check with SIL before you pass any on.

chattychattyboomba Thu 20-Mar-14 16:43:08

Yeah check if she doesn't want them back. That's very generous of her. I found it nearly impossible to donate Dd's baby clothes, even if they were completely in tatters or plain boring white onsies. I know I'm crazy. I just had too much sentimental value in them.

Misty9 Thu 20-Mar-14 16:48:01

Definitely check - my sil wanted her stuff back but didn't mention that for ages confused not that she was that forthcoming in the first place
Now, if people say they want stuff back I don't tend to take it - too much hassle to remember what came from whom!

mewkins Thu 20-Mar-14 18:40:42

I had lots of donated stuff (crates of it that my dm scrupulously trawled through, binned the stuff that was okd/stained and the rest she washed for me). After dd had outgrown it I dropped it back to the giver who then passed it onto twin girls. If you don't think you can use it all, check with the giver if she wants it back or find someone who needs it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now