Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Calorie intake in second trimester

(10 Posts)
freezingdrizzle Thu 20-Mar-14 12:22:53

Can someone give me some (gentle) advice on second trimester nutrition... This is my 2nd pregnancy so not sure why I am feeling a bit lost. I have a history of EDs, but very much in the past. And I am certainly not dieting at all whilst pregnant. I am constantly ravenous at the moment. But I do get confused about what is a enough, too much etc. Can someone help me a bit? Please don't flame me. blush

Beanymonster Thu 20-Mar-14 12:29:59

I'm in the same boat as you, 1 dd and currently oregnant, I know nothing if guidelines but my motto is if I'm hungry I'm going to eat, and il try and make it mildly healthy.... As long as your prepared to lose the weight at the end i don't see a problem with this approach! I've also been told to try and keep sugar low, as it can spike growth in baby... Just eat and try and forget about the calories in the cream cakes your inevitably craving!

MrsMonkeyBear Thu 20-Mar-14 12:41:07

It depends on a few factors, such as you weight, height and bmi. I have been told I need to eat an extra 300 to 400 calories a day in the second trimester (I had a pre-pregnancy bmi of 15.25, no ED just skinny). I'm only just 10 weeks and eating like an elephant. I'm putting fruit on my cereal in the morning and letting myself have pudding after dinner, either a yogurt or a scoop or two of ice cream. Just eat when you feel hungry, but opt for healthy snacks like fruit, nuts, yogurt etc. hope this helps.

Xx

freezingdrizzle Thu 20-Mar-14 12:43:33

thanks both. pretty much what I am doing. craving protein & fruit mainly. but sometimes the waves of hunger are pretty epic! Strangely I have completely gone off cakes/choc/sweets... But egg mayonnaise sandwiches on the other hand grin

squizita Thu 20-Mar-14 12:50:42

My problem is, I get very very hungry then feel too full and windy!

My MW said about 300 cals over your usual intake (approx 2300) but not to count. She said if you stick to healthy/normal meals and snacks (i.e. not whole tubs of icecream) it's OK. Just maybe 1-2 extra snacks a day.

MrsMonkeyBear Thu 20-Mar-14 15:22:35

freezingdrizzle egg mayo sandwich sounds epic right now wink

I have been eating lots of fish recently. I never use to but it's all I want at the moment. Gone off sweets too. Well apart from starbursts......mmmm starbursts.....

TestingTestingWonTooFree Thu 20-Mar-14 17:20:43

I read earlier that the Anerican rule of thumb was that if you are overweight you should aim to put on a stone, normal weight aim to put on two stone and underweight aim to put on three stone during pregnancy.

NickyEds Thu 20-Mar-14 17:33:24

My MW said to eat as much of whatever my body wanted.......unless it wanted 10 KFCs......if it did, only have 5!!!! It is much more serious to not eat and become faint so try not to worry too much. Good luck.

allduffedup Sat 22-Mar-14 08:54:53

I'm 17 weeks and just started getting really hungry in the last couple of days. I realised I needed a bit more at breakfast and quite a lot more at lunchtime, so it's now like I'm having three full-sized meals per day rather than a modest breakfast and light lunch. I think it probably is best to listen to your body and if you feel really hungry then definitely eat a bit more!

Foodylicious Sat 22-Mar-14 15:26:03

Scrambled egg on toast did wonders for me a few weeks ago! Also ham on toast, seems to keep me full up for a bit longer

Have had several phases of being super hungry all the time. A while ago I was having breakfast in several phases - toast or porridge as soon as I got to work (7am), banana and 2 actimel drinks a little later, a couple of clementines or half a grapefruit about 10.30, quiche & salad for lunch, cereal bar in the afternoon, toast or crumpets when I got home then dinner!
Oh and I usually manged an evening snack. Ice lollies are a good snack too, especially the mini mint feasts!

I went on to one of the calorie/exercise websites and was surprised to find I was within my calorie allowance, so try not to worry too much!

I have also had a bit of a thing for egg mayo sandwiches.
And pre pregnancy i did not like grapefruit but ate it every day for about 3 weeks after craving it for ages. Oddly this disappeared after that and I have no inclination for them now at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now