Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Snacks for labour that are good for gestational diabetes

(6 Posts)
redhead78 Thu 20-Mar-14 12:16:13

Hi folks,
I'm getting to the stage where I'm starting to think about having my hospital bags packed and ready just in case. Everyone recommends that you take snacks with you to keep your energy up but most of them seem to revolve around sweets, chocolate, biscuits and fruit.
Does anyone have any suggestions for good snacks to take when you gestational diabetes? At the moment my snacking tends to consist of houmus (sp?!) or cream cheese and oatcakes so am seriously considering actually taking a little cool-bag in with me but would they think that was weird?!

flymo79 Thu 20-Mar-14 12:22:31

take what you fancy, I don't think what "they" think really matters and it beats the usual hospital alternatives. Saying that I don't know how much what you eat actually during or just before labour will affect the baby in terms of GD... maybe there's more info on this somewhere else or someone will come along who knows more....! Good luck though!

ilovepowerhoop Thu 20-Mar-14 12:24:31

I wasnt allowed to eat in labour so check what your hospital policy is

redhead78 Thu 20-Mar-14 19:23:18

I've been told by my hospital to take snacks in (I have to eat little but often to help control blood sugar levels) for both me and hubby to keep our energy up in the case of a long labour. But as I have GD I will also have my blood sugar levels checked regularly to try and reduce the risk of the baby being born with low sugars. I think I'll just take a selection of the snacks I've been having since diagnosis for me and hubby can have whatever he likes! But if he eats another bag of Giant Buttons in front of me, especially when I'm in labour, I'll be consulting a divorce lawyer!!!

weebigmamma Fri 21-Mar-14 06:35:31

Are peanuts OK? (I hope so as i have GD and I've been eating them....), also maybe take a cheese or ham sandwich on brown or granary bread (I read on here the other day that someone made sandwiches and froze them so they could just grab them on the way out the door to the hospital. I thought that was a great idea although I would be sure to forget). What about Tuna Light Lunches? I have packed some of those and I'm not sure if they are low or high in GI but apart from the dressing they're just tuna and beans/pasta.

redhead78 Fri 21-Mar-14 09:16:48

I think peanuts are ok...I've been having spoonsful (or spoonfuls???) of peanut butter as snacks sometimes and it doesn't seem to have an adverse affect on my readings. My sugars can't cope with sandwiches though...I can only ever have one slice of bread or half a wholewheat pitta at a time!
I hadn't thought about taking bags of nuts though...thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now