Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Grr digestion: 'poo baby' bump before actual bump!

(12 Posts)
squizita Thu 20-Mar-14 08:54:58

Just a grumble.

Constipation + wind making it look like my bump's popped. It hasn't I'm only 14+.
I'm like how much poo is in there!?!? grin

Reaches for 'delicious' prune juice for breakfast, yum yum NOT.

lyns31 Thu 20-Mar-14 09:01:37

I've only just now managed to get rid of my bloat a bit at 20 weeks. Nice to be able to go to the loo normally but I know it won't last from reading other mum's third trimester experience!

Honeybear30 Thu 20-Mar-14 17:42:55

I am feeling this!! Only 13 weeks and have got proper bloat going on. I like to think it is baby...but deep down I know it is bloat sad

iloveweetos Thu 20-Mar-14 17:47:39

I had really bad constipation at around 14 weeks where my tummy was hard. I was at my mums and she had made a spinach curry (saag aloo) and boy did I go! I felt amazing after!!!!
Tmi! Apologies!
Hope you feel better soon OP and PPs! Lyns don't even ask about 3rd trimester bowels lol

monkeypeanuts Sat 22-Mar-14 20:00:57

Any other tips on getting rid of constipation?! I've not passed anything bigger than a tangerine in 3 days. Sorry if tmi, but so uncomfortable!

RaRa1988 Sun 23-Mar-14 06:08:25

I had horrendous constipation at around 20 weeks - it had me crying with the pain. What worked for me (when a combination of lactulose, senna, and fibogel recommended by the GP just gave me a painfully windy tummy) was drinking copious amounts of acidic fruit juice - I literally downed an entire carton of orange juice in one sitting. I'm not saying it was comfortable at first - I was pretty bloody full! - but it made me go. So did drinking my first (extremely weak) cup of coffee since being pg.

I'm 28+3 now and haven't had any further problems in that department, thank god. I try to get as much fruit as possible, and I already eat a lot of vegetables because I'm vegetarian. I also drink fruit juice with at least one meal a day, and try to drink as much as possible in general, mostly water, juice, and tonic water (for the restless legs hmm ). Try that. And exercise - I felt a lot better when I had to dash to the loo after a hard gym session.... Won't be too graphic, but it made a hell of a lot of difference.

You have my sympathy - I'd never in my life been constipated before and I had no idea it could be so painful sad

monkeypeanuts Sun 23-Mar-14 08:53:31

Thanks RaRa I'm off to buy Grape Nuts (American cereal recommended on another post), prune juice (a glass morning & night apparently, bleurgh!), orange juice and get out on my bike!

Made some muffins with high fibre spelt flour yesterday which are a tastier way of getting more fibre (link www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/carrot-cake-muffins/).

Def need to be stricter with myself in drinking enough water too.

Have also read that especially fibrous fruit/veg to eat are apples, plums, peaches, bananas, avocados, blueberries, broccoli, cabbage, sprouts. Apart from the sprouts I can manage that!

Good luck ladies! Hope you're all feeling better soon!

squizita Sun 23-Mar-14 10:03:29

RaRa I am considering a cup of weak coffee every couple of days ... went right off it at the start, but it looks like it's suggested one a day from the list the NHS...

I eat a lot of veg.

Anyone find the issue with drinks/water is you pee it all out within 5 minutes? I have such a peanut size bladder!

Linguini Sun 23-Mar-14 10:16:52

The best think I have ever found for helping (this is from having it before, not even while Pg) is a drink known as AYRAN !! it's like lovely drinkable yogurt. Another drink that's V good for this problem is Soya Milk.

For some reason these things pass right through you, taking everything on the way !

ohthegoats Sun 23-Mar-14 10:29:31

I went for a breakfast of Fruit n Fibre, a banana, an Actimel and apple juice watered down half and half. Couple of days of that and I was back to 'normal' service in the poo department.

I'm still looking bloated sometimes though, and I've still got cramp type pain.. but the pain changes with the shifted of stomach and bowel stuff, so it's all about digestion. So long as I'm not actually constipated, I'm alright though.

OnABabyDiet Sun 23-Mar-14 12:58:38

I second pure orange juice. I have also got some benefiber, which is a high fibre, taste-free powder that dissolves in drinks. A combination of the two saves me reaching for the lactulose... I'll save that til the 3rd trimester!

Dazedconfused Sun 23-Mar-14 13:02:40

My friend grabbed my tummy last night and said ooh you've already got a wee bump (I'm 14 weeks and don't really) I had eaten a lot of cheese and it was that(also I thought people weren't meant to start grabbing you till later!!!). I'm having orange juice and coffee (decaff) and that does help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now