Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby Clothes Question

(6 Posts)
Ilikepancakes Wed 19-Mar-14 15:50:07

First baby so not too clued-up on baby outfits!

I figured after talking to some mums that easy nappy access was important so I have purchased a few of each of the following in a mix of newborn and 0-3 months (all in gender neutral as we don't know the sex and I was hoping we could use a lot of it again for a future second child):

sleeveless vests (that popper up under the nappy)

sleepsuits (with feet and built in mits)

romper suits (no feet)

soft dungerees with t-shirts (some short sleeved and some long-sleeved all but one of which popper under the nappy)

socks (and Sock-Ons)

two pairs of soft cotton booties

two cotton hats

Any advice after seeing my list? I'm due at the end of May - so Summer baby. I know we have unpredictable weather here so it's difficult to predict how warm it'll be. What would you buy in the way of cardigans or sweaters? Just a couple of light ones?

Trooperslane Wed 19-Mar-14 15:56:38

I wouldn't buy any more - you are likely to be inundated with stuff from your friend's/sister's/daughter's/granny etc.

Congrats. I'm on mat leave this Summer and it better be a good one!

ChicaMomma Wed 19-Mar-14 16:16:27

Another one on summer mat leave, woo hooo!!! due end of june. arent we lucky!

One thing that i only learned yesterday was that we'll need vests AND babygros.. who knew.. i have a load of vests (12 i think) but in my deluded state thought these were 'summer babygros'.. hmm... So i'll need a few packs of babygros and then i'm good to go. A few caridgans too and then assume after that i'll get presents!
If i dont, next or mothercare are never too far away smile
Or F&F at tesco, they have really cute stuff!

Fairypants Wed 19-Mar-14 16:28:05

I would recommend a couple of nighties (sometimes called bundlers). They can be used for either sex but are so useful for the first few weeks when you need to do a lot of night-time nappy changes as you don't even need to do poppers.

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 19-Mar-14 16:28:15

Not particularly light cardigans. Even a May/June baby is likely to need a reasonably warm cardigan if out and about, particularly if in a sling or the type of buggy where they aren't totally under a blanket. Don't buy jumpers - PITA to get over their head.

I'd get at least two, for vomit/poo/milk explosions.

You have loads of clothes, so don't worry about that bit. Put the word out that, if you get presents, you'd like bigger sizes (lots of people automatically buy in 3-6 or 6-9, I know I always do, but it doesn't hurt to give them a nudge).

Ilikepancakes Wed 19-Mar-14 16:57:01

Thanks smile I tend to buy baby gifts for other people in 3-6 months too and if people ask what we need I'll say 3-6 months or larger clothing. Thanks Fairypants I'll look into nighties/bundlers. Good point on cardis/jumpers PenguinsEatSpinach - I'll look for two or three and make sure that do up at the front.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now