Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

what the hell am I doing?

(14 Posts)
HelenHen Wed 19-Mar-14 14:08:18

Had 36 week growth scan today. At 32 week's everything was great and placenta had moved up well above baby's head. Now consultant says there's low fluid and baby's not growing much and that it looks like the placenta might be low again but they couldn't see on the scan. How can it be low again?

She wanted to book me in for a csection in a few days or suggested waiting two weeks for another scan. I asked could I have one next week and she agreed but then started talking about tiny risk of still birth, placenta erupting etc. If it was gonna be in a few days, that's probably Monday but now my scan will be Wednesday. Is there really such a massive risk in waiting two days to see if anything's changed?

She also wanted to give me steroid shots and I declined too.

I dunno what I'm doing. They just seem to give sections so easy these days to cover their arse but am I doing everything wrong? I need help and advice. Midwife is in study at the mo but she will ring me soon. Dh wants me to go for csection.

Waggamamma Wed 19-Mar-14 14:24:20

Are you being monitored daily?

Personally I don't think I would wait. what if something goes wrong in those extra two days and you don't know about it, could you ever forgive yourself, would you be plagued by 'what if I just had the section '

Sorry to be blunt, it must be such a tough decision for you.

HelenHen Wed 19-Mar-14 14:36:17

That's ok, I want honest opinions. I just spoke to my midwife and she said it sounds sensible to wait but she's gonna go look at my notes and chat to some other midwives and get back to me! They have said I could change my mind at any time anyway so I wanted to have a think first!

Not being monitored daily. The midwife who was in the room with cons said 'doppler twice weekly?' and cons said once will be enough so I won't be monitored until next Wednesday!

ChicaMomma Wed 19-Mar-14 14:39:04

I'd go for the section, happily. There's no way i would risk it. That said, waiting a few days is not going to make a difference even if the placenta is failing. I had a friend who had a failing placenta (not low lying, different thing, the placenta just expired around 36 weeks) and she had a section the very next day they diagnosed it. I'd do the same. The ONLY thing that matters is that baby arrives safely- nothing else.

Best of luck

HelenHen Wed 19-Mar-14 14:47:40

Thanks Chica! Maybe that's what's happening but she definitely said they couldn't see it but in scan nnotes it said 'clear of os'

Now I'm home and calm I might be edging towards going with cons but I'll wait and talk to mw and then dh when he comes home! I think I'd be so terrified over those two days that it would be silly!

squizita Wed 19-Mar-14 14:55:44

TBH this doesn't sound like they're giving a section to be 'easy' at all or 'cover their arse'!! shock It sounds a really scary position to be in OP and I wonder if that's what's making you frightened to make the choice, because after your post I was amazed that you think this is them overreacting!

I agree with Chica about focusing 100% on the pathway that is safest for the baby (and I would go for a section personally): it may not be natural or what you wanted, but we're very lucky to have this. Many historic times or places even now wouldn't.

Is there a reason you declined the shots? I'm assuming they're to help the lungs adapt - if the scan on Weds comes up requiring a section will they give shots anyway?

ChicaMomma Wed 19-Mar-14 15:06:00

'Clear of OS' means 'not blocking the cervix', doesnt it? So it's not low lying at all then?

It sounds to me like it might be placental failure instead- perhaps- low fluid as well would make me think that. Wait to see what they say, but don't take any chances. Scheduled sections are an easier recovery than the emergency variety too- my friend had one last week and has just posted pictures on FB of herself and the new baby strolling in the sun in the park!! i wouldn't think twice about it, the only thing that is important is that the baby is delivered safely.

Let us know how you get on.

HelenHen Wed 19-Mar-14 15:06:25

I declined the shots cos I didn't know what they were and I'm not gonna be rushed into any decisions. She was keen on me to have them though and said if I have emcs it would be too late for them to be effective.

I've looked them up though and it said they're given between 24-34 weeks but I'll be nearly 37.

Problem is ds was measuring over 9lbs at full term. He went 42 weeks and was 7lb2. That's why I'm having growth scans this time! He's seriously healthy and thriving and a happy little boy! I know if I'd been monitored when oh with him, they would have suggested the same thing and he would have been beven born 5 weeks earlier and I doubt that would be a good thing.

I guess 36+5 is pretty much term anyway though.

HelenHen Wed 19-Mar-14 15:09:41

Thanks chica! Yep my sis and sil have both had cs. Sil recovered much quicker from her planned one than sis did the emcs! If there's placenta prob, I'll prob have to be cs anyway so I'm not really afraid of it. Solves problem of getting to hospital in Labour etc grin

I'm more afraid of the spinal than the op lol.

CaipirinhasAllRound Wed 19-Mar-14 15:15:56

Hi HelenHen
I think your due date is the same as mine from what I can remember from the 1 month to go thread. I had a mw appointment today and all was luckily fine but I think if I'd had your appointment I'd go for the CS. You're so close to full term and I don't think they'd be suggesting it if they didn't think the baby was ready or needed to come out.
Good luck x

HelenHen Wed 19-Mar-14 15:21:19

Thanks caipirinhas! Yep, 36 weeks today! Glad all's well with you smile

twinsmonplusone Wed 19-Mar-14 15:34:17

Hi OP. Steroids are given to help the lungs to mature faster, as they are the last thing to get ready on the baby. I had them and it's nothing really. I was having twins and had them twice, first time at 30weeks. If I were you I would have it. If you don't and your baby ends up being born earlier, he might need to spend time on ICU.

I would also go for the c section as I'm petrified of something bad happening towards the end of the pregnancy when you are so close! Good luck to you whatever you decide.

HelenHen Wed 19-Mar-14 15:35:04

Mw just rang back! She's checked the notes and conferred with all other midwives and they concluded that there was confusion between cons and sonographer and consultant got it wrong about the placenta. She then called the cons who agreed and also agreed that I'm best to wait til weds now! If nothing's changed on Wednesday though they will probably induce me! smile

HelenHen Wed 19-Mar-14 15:40:42

Thank you twins smile . I think I'm off the hook with the steroids for now! Oh God, I just pray I'm doing the right thing! sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now