Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

snack suggestions for hospital bag?

(26 Posts)
K8eee Wed 19-Mar-14 11:59:09

I'm going to pop to Sainsbury's just to grab a few bits and I've realised I have no snacks for my hospital bag! I've sampled the food in the hospital already and my god, it's pretty awful ha. so just after some suggestions for snacks I should take with me and dh grin

cathpip Wed 19-Mar-14 12:12:57

I have a nut assortment and some granola bars.

lentilpot Wed 19-Mar-14 12:22:15

I like taking those small cans of sweetcorn if I know I'm going to be somewhere where fresh food is hard to come by!

LittleMachine Wed 19-Mar-14 12:43:30

I've got cereal bars, jelly sweets, monster munch, biscuits, coke, water and those little pots of fruit in juice that come with a little fork.

Not the healthiest of snacks blush but pretty much what I had last time. I ate the cereal and croissant they gave me but I didn't like any other food.

Inglori0us Wed 19-Mar-14 12:52:20

Cadburys Brunch Bars are delicious, I'll be stocking up on those this time.
Last time I went to Tesco in early labour and got strawberries, Twiglets, satsumas, small bottle of squash, skittles, chocolate cookies and Pringles.

MavisDee Wed 19-Mar-14 12:54:57

Cereal bars, Jaffa cakes and jelly babies

NeedToSaveMySanity Wed 19-Mar-14 13:00:11

I froze cheese and ham sandwiches!

Just left them in the freezer and grabbed the on the way out...they tasted fantastic later that day. Dh really enjoyed them too better than the stale vending machine ones.

sleeplessbunny Wed 19-Mar-14 13:04:30

I packed drinks and snacks for labour. DH ate them all while I spent most of labour throwing up. hmm He did get me some more afterwards though, when I was making up for it. This time I won't bother.

stripes1 Wed 19-Mar-14 13:06:32

Lucozade tablets, for energy if you don't feel like eating. Packets of dried fruit and nuts, flapjack bars.

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 19-Mar-14 13:11:14

cereal bars and jelly sweets plus some lucozade tablets going in my hospital transfer bag (planning another home birth). Plus water.

Haven't wanted to eat once in the midst of things either previous time and cannot stomach energy drinks at the best of times. Anything carbonated or acidic would definitely not have been appreciated either.

surromummy Wed 19-Mar-14 13:15:28

Ill be taking several big bottles of peach iced tea, a couple of small bottles of lemon lucozade, some cereal bar type things, liking the idea of fruit in a pot so will take a few of those and some Kendal mint cake for during active labour.

surromummy Wed 19-Mar-14 13:16:31

maybe some flapjack or something similar for after too, tea and toast does not cut it when you've been in labour for days!!

Inglori0us Wed 19-Mar-14 13:34:30

Cadburys Brunch Bars are delicious, I'll be stocking up on those this time.
Last time I went to Tesco in early labour and got strawberries, Twiglets, satsumas, small bottle of squash, skittles, chocolate cookies and Pringles.

Possiblyorange Wed 19-Mar-14 13:35:22

Dried fruit. Lots and lots of dried fruit. And bottles of juice/squash if you aren't a water drinker - you'll want to be well hydrated and consuming lots of something like dried fruit to keep things, ermmm, moving.

rachyconks Wed 19-Mar-14 13:37:05

I have lucozade sport, choc chip belvita biscuits (you have to get your own breakfast in our hospital and I wasn't feeling up to leaving the bed last time but was starving!), and alpen granola bars. Might have to investigate these Cadbury things though!

ch1134 Wed 19-Mar-14 14:47:35

dried mango

buffythebarbieslayer Wed 19-Mar-14 14:55:49

Porridge bars, digestive biscuits and a small bottle of lucozade.

Rootvegetables Wed 19-Mar-14 19:38:51

I froze some cartons of ribena and got them out the freezer as we were leaving, it was so hot in there, they were lovely. I didn't eat any of my snacks but left them all in the bag by my bed at home and ate them over the following days when breastfeeding in bed!

thereisnoeleventeen Wed 19-Mar-14 22:30:28

Dr Karg's for energy in labour and chocolate brownies for afterwards.

GingerMaman Wed 19-Mar-14 22:33:24

Lucozade sport, bonne maman cake, digestives, crisps and tonnes of other stuff. Came into handy mainly after the birth

Smitten1981 Wed 19-Mar-14 22:35:52

Get something sugary. I ran out of energy on the final push and my contractions stopped until I ate some jelly beans, then they started again and my baby was born. I'm SO glad I packed them.

I think they were the only thing I actually touched from my hospital bag during the birth. That and Lucozade Sport.

CristaBell Wed 19-Mar-14 23:08:38

Cereal bars and lucozade, going to get some biscuits and sweets smile

catyloopylou Wed 19-Mar-14 23:13:21

Chocolate raisins. Squash or juice. Bananas. And straws to drink through as it's difficult to tip up bottles or cups in some positions.

wildflowersummermeadow Wed 19-Mar-14 23:13:32

Huge bottles of water! I was so thirsty!
Xx

McFox Wed 19-Mar-14 23:34:28

I've got some Nakd bars, nuts and dried fruit mix, and will probably make some coconut bars too. Carbonated water too, lots of it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now