Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low risk of Downs syndrome... but still been summoned to speak to midwife. in need of reassurance!

(8 Posts)
LePetitPont Wed 19-Mar-14 11:10:26

So I've had the results back from the Combined downs syndrome screening: 1:450. The midwife reassures me that it is low risk. However, I've been asked to make an appointment so she can discuss some "details of other aspects" with me. She told me not to worry... but clearly I am!

I am going in this afternoon - I think they want to talk about further screening as the preganancy progresses?

Any thoughts / reassurance / experiences greatly received as I am having a panic.

K8eee Wed 19-Mar-14 12:01:50

a close friend of mine had a high risk, it was below the 1:150 chance I think. her and her dh chose to have an amniocentesis, result came back that baby was fine and he's now a healthy 3 year old full of energy! she said the procedure is a bit uncomfortable and if you have a low pain threshold, slightly painful, but for what it's worth she's glad she had it done.

try not to stress too much op, easier said than done I know, but fingers x you have a healthy little one inside you thanks

GingerRodgers Wed 19-Mar-14 13:55:43

Op did you have bloods/urine samples done too? It could be something to do with those eg iron levels.
Hope all is well for you thanks

CrispyFB Wed 19-Mar-14 16:21:42

One possibility:

If you had blood tests with the screening and your bHCG was very high or your PAPP-A was very low there's a tiny risk of growth issues from the late second trimester onwards. Usually this just means an extra scan or two at the start of the third trimester and if all is fine then, that's the end of it. If it's not okay, you'll have regular follow-ups and deliver early if necessary - but I emphasise this is really rare. I've had both low PAPP-A and high bHCG and never had growth issues - most people don't.

It's easily possible to get one of those values out of range and not screen positive for a chromosomal issue.

99redbafoons Wed 19-Mar-14 16:31:22

Any update OP? Maybe just a chat about pain relief options/labour?

LePetitPont Wed 19-Mar-14 16:45:49

Thanks, both. Just back from seeing the screening coordinator and the baby is all ok. It is me and a low PaPpA hormone which puts me at a higher risk of pre-eclampsia. So I have aspirin to take and more growth scans after 28 weeks. Feeling reassured.

LePetitPont Wed 19-Mar-14 19:24:15

crispyB sorry, posted my update without reading your post! Spot on with your thoughts on what the midwife wanted to discuss. Thank you for sharing your experience, if is really reassuring. I have a 28 week scan as well as 20 weeks now - looking at it as a good thing that I will be monitored a bit more closely and fingers firmly crossed all will be well!

GingerRodgers Wed 19-Mar-14 19:54:11

Glad you got some answers op

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now