Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Placenta Accreta - I'm terrified

(13 Posts)
PhantomMenace Wed 19-Mar-14 10:42:13

The hospital identified that I had Placenta previa from my 20 week scan. I have since had a scan at 35 weeks that has shown the placenta hasn't moved and is completely covering the cervix. My consultant was very doom and gloom and mentioned hysterectomy (sp?) more than once. I was also told that if I have Placenta Accreta then I will have to give birth at another hospital as they don't have the facilities to deal with it at my current hospital should anything go wrong.
I had an MRI scan on Monday and I think I will get the results at some point this week. It would be nice to find out where I'm giving birth at least. Everything I have read so far on the internet has been extremely negative and doesn't give me much hope for a positive outcome.
I'm just terrified I am going to die, I told DH to find another wife and be happy if I do, I am also going to make a will just in case.
Does anyone have any positive stories?

lucie26uk Wed 19-Mar-14 10:56:00

oh my gosh poor you, you sound as if your going through a tough time of it? I was told at 20 weeks had low lying placenta so low they said its lying ontop of the cervix, I have been told they doubt it will move as its so low, they scarred the crap out of me with talk of if it inbeads itself to uterus i would have a hysterectomy etc... blood transfusions, im having a internal scan at 28 weeks and im now after talking to people who have had or got low lying placenta who did not seem to have an internal, so im like why do i need one at 28 weeks? im not shy or anything just seems that its not the norm to have one unless they suspect something else, im going crazy not knowing whats going to happen!!! as for going to die.... you will be fine they do these alot and know what they are doing, i know its hard not to worry but at least try not to worry about that!! x

Loopylouu Wed 19-Mar-14 11:26:59

Mine moved!

They do an internal scan as at 28 weeks the baby is bigger and covers what they need to see. The don't end to put the probe in far at all. Just the tip, I didn't even feel it, it wasn't uncomfortable at all and totally different of the internal scans I had in early pregnancy where they had to insert the probe further.

I had a repeat scan at 32 weeks and placenta had moved out the way, consultant said it's very common for them to move.

PhantomMenace Wed 19-Mar-14 11:32:35

I'm booked in for a c-section at 38 weeks, I have my pre-op today and a consultants appointment tomorrow. I'm trying not to freak out too much, but the bad thoughts don't go away completely. Thank you for your posts btw smile

Loopylouu Wed 19-Mar-14 11:44:37

Also just to say that my mum and my sister both had placenta accreata but with vaginal births, so it wasn't realised until he placenta wound come away. They had to have manual removals.

Seeing as you are having a section they will be able to we what they are dealing with and be able to remove anything immediately.

Please don't worry. Easier said than done I know, I am having a section next week and I am seriously panicking.

Loopylouu Wed 19-Mar-14 11:45:38

*placenta wouldn't come away, sorry.

lucie26uk Wed 19-Mar-14 12:18:05

so loopylouu are you having a section because of placenta still as you said it had moved? im not worried about internal for any reason of embarrassment or it hurting as have had them before and this is my 3rd baby!! lol but i was just wondering why some people have not had internal for placenta prieva and some have had them>? my friend has got prieva but she does not have another scan till shes 36 weeks ? i have an internal at 28 weeks and a normal one at 32 weeks? thanks for the msgs :-) and good luck for next week

Loopylouu Wed 19-Mar-14 12:57:14

No, I am having a section as I had my ds by CS, didn't want a vbac.

Maybe it's different hospitals/sonographers preference on internal scan? When I had mine, she did an over belly scan, but also did an internal one just to check as the baby was covering where she needed to see, so she had to look from the other side!

AuditAngel Wed 19-Mar-14 21:37:43

I have 3 DC and with both DC2 and DC3 I had placenta praevia. On neither occasion did I have an internal scan, but I had a rescan at 34 weeks to see if it had moved. With DC3 I had an MRI and an ultrasound to look for Acreta. I was scanned as part of a study into the best way to detect Acreta and was told that MRI can give false positive whilst ultrasound can give false negative.

toroloco Sat 22-Mar-14 17:22:02

I had complete previa with dd2, I had an abdo scan at 34 weeks but no internal. Maybe it depends on the trust? I had accreta too which was only discovered after I haemorrhaged on the way out of theatre! Took three hours to sort out under general anaesthetic, I had a blood transfusion but still have all my organs (the first thing I asked when I came round!). Now pregnant with #3, will be seen at 36 weeks to discuss mode of delivery unless 20 week scan shows yet another previa. Until then, they don't seem concerned at all.

JellyBabiesSaveLives Sat 22-Mar-14 18:43:27

I had accreta with ds2. I'd already had one placenta previa with ds1. I bled at 23 weeks and ended up in hospital, had another big bleed at 33 weeks which was when I had him. The placenta had grown through my cervix so I had a hysterectomy. GA, long operation, night in ICU.
The hysterectomy was because of where the placenta was - they couldn't stop the bleeding. Before the operation they said there was a 50/50 chance of saving my uterus (and I told them not to bother as I wasn't letting eh near me ever again).
I was home after a week. It was 6 weeks before I felt safe to drive.
Ds2 is totally fine and so am I (interesting scar though).
I did look up the stats on maternal death at the time - basically in the UK, when they know about the accreta in advance, women don't die from it. And neither do the babies.
Hang in there!

AuditAngel Sat 22-Mar-14 21:46:39

Wow Jellybabies they told me I was unusual to have Placenta Praevia twice. Glad all was OK eventually.

Tranquilitybaby Sat 22-Mar-14 22:48:46

You need to speak through your fears with somebody at the hospital ASAP. If they know about the acreta now, they can be fully prepared and will have blood etc on hand if it's needed. The risk of anything going wrong is small so please try not to worry. Huge hugs to you, you sound so frightened you poor thing.

Xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now