Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Crib bedding/blankets/sleeping bags etc

(7 Posts)
Hobby2014 Tue 18-Mar-14 22:03:35

What do I need for a crib? How much of each thing? I know baby will only be in there for a few months so don't want to go mad but also don't want to be in the situation where it's all in the wash etc.
Will possibly go onto sleeping bags when baby is at the right weight.
How many fitted sheets?
What sort of blankets? How many?
If I go on to sleeping bags, how many? What tog rating? Baby due 31st July if that helps.
TIA x

ChazzerChaser Tue 18-Mar-14 22:07:25

I've just used sleeping bags. 2.5 tog at the moment. 1 tog in the summer. If you get grobag ones they have a little chart that shows temp of the room, what try should wear and how many tog. I have 2 of current size and tog. When he's littler, and sicker, we have run out with only 2 if he's been sick on them. But a rare event. Oh and when it's really hot we've tucked him in a pillowcase. We also have a blanket for putting on top if its cold but we've only used that now he's old enough to be able to pull it off if needed.

Artandco Tue 18-Mar-14 22:15:00

Get the baby merino sleeping bags. Come in a tog suitable for all weather as merino keeps you cool in summer and warm in winter. They last 2months- 2 years also as long ad have poppers as top to make smaller on arms of little ones. So cost £50 but never have to change size or tog.

Personally I just used a large muslin cloth as a swaddle the first few weeks with a blanket over legs if needed. Prob only needed in depths of winter though. Then muslin can be used later as sunshade/ cloth/ drool cloth so no waste

If by crib you mean Moses basket just use a regular pillow case over mattress as a sheet

KatAndKit Tue 18-Mar-14 23:41:31

3 crib sheets ought to be enough. I second the giant muslin swaddle suggestion, they are great for the middle of summer. A couple of cellular blankets is enough, I had a pile and they were barely used.

I would get 2 2.5 tog Bags in 0-6 size and perhaps a 1 tog bag although you will probably still be swaddling in the warmer weather. You could skip the 1 tog bag if your baby likes being swaddled and just move to bags when it gets a bit cooler.

Carsandtrucks Wed 19-Mar-14 08:53:53

2 sheets. 2 bags for when little one is big enough. 1 tog and 2.5 tog. Sainbsburys do the bags for a tenner but they often have smaller age ranges than grobag so a bit of a false economy ! My little on is 11 months now. I must say that when he was 0-2 months he was often sick in his basket so maybe 3 sheets would be better. And a spare mattress. Or if you use a carrycot for the pram the. That can double up as a reserve place for baby to sleep at night if sheets get wet

theborrower Wed 19-Mar-14 09:48:39

Bear in mind that sleeping bags can only be used from a certain weight, so if you have a teeny tiny baby you won't be able to use them (we couldn't). A couple of sheets and blankets are handy to have, and you can use the blankets for the buggy/car seat too.

theborrower Wed 19-Mar-14 09:50:17

Oh, and putting a muslin on top of the mattress sheet saves you having to change it every time there's a bit of spit up - just change the muslin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now