Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

After some minor advice and help please

(8 Posts)
K8eee Sun 16-Mar-14 12:04:11

I'm 39 weeks pg, and it's only just occurred to me that some of the bits I've got haven't even been taken out the boxes confused

I've got a steriliser that I've yet to take out the box, so all the bottles need sterilising. when should I do this? I'm hoping to give bf a go, but I don't think I'll be doing this exclusively. I'm unsure at the moment, and am going to see how I get on.

my parents also bought us a baby monitor and sensor mat. baby will be in the carry cot for as long as possible and in with us for the first 6 months or so; the mat can't be used I assume with a carry cot? and I won't need the monitor until he/she is in her own room or is sleeping in the cot for daytime naps?

TIA x

5madthings Sun 16-Mar-14 12:06:11

Get it out, check all bits are there And that it works, but bottles on stay materialised for 24hrs so no point doing that until you need them.

5madthings Sun 16-Mar-14 12:06:37

Only stay sterilized...dam auto correct!

5madthings Sun 16-Mar-14 12:08:46

You may be able to use the sensor Mat, check the instructions. If not you can use the monitor without the Matt but you Mau not need to, depends on how big house is and baby should sleep in room with you till 6mths per aids guidelines so you Mau not need to use it.

Worth getting it out and set up so it's ready and you know how to usr it etc.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 16-Mar-14 12:13:49

I would suggest that if you want to bf long term, even mixed feeding, you do so exclusively for the first few weeks. This will give your supply the best chance to develop to meet your baby's needs.

You probably won't even put the baby down out of sight for the first 6 weeks so you won't need the sensor mat or monitor immediately.

The bottles will wash and sterilise in about 30 mins, if that, so you can do this when needed.

More importantly, is your bag packed? Birth plan written (and ready to throw out of the window)? Route to hospital planned?

Best of luck!

Fairypants Sun 16-Mar-14 12:15:08

I'd probably get the listener out for a play to find out how well it works in different parts if the house and garden (this can vary depending on wall thicknesses etc) and to check you don't get interference from other things (we had the same monitor as our next door neighbours so had to agree who used which channelconfused).
I agree with pp, not really any point sterilising anything til you need it.

K8eee Sun 16-Mar-14 12:52:29

So exclusive bf for the first few weeks and no formula at all? how long should I give it to determine whether both baby and I get on with it well?

shall take everything out and have a read then smile

AnythingNotEverything Sun 16-Mar-14 14:30:45

Well, that's a bit like asking how long a piece of string is!

Lots of women don't find breastfeeding to be a case of simply putting baby to breast. It's perfectly achievable - millions of women manage it worldwide and have done for millennia - but it's worth knowing what to expect. The breastfeeding board here is great, and I'd recommend a book (The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is great) and the KellyMom website too.

Equally, lots of women successfully mix feed. It's worth really understanding why you want to and whether the risk to your supply is worth it, or how you will try to structure feeds so that you can continue to produce sufficient milk.

I'm sure this sound really negative and I don't really mean it to. Breastfeeding is a wonderful thing. It can be so easy if you let baby lead. However, it can be very tough in the early days and the introduction of formula can lead to a reduction in supply, which in turns leads to the end of breastfeeding altogether.

Establishing supply in those first few weeks is crucial though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now