Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Carpal tunnel syndrome

(7 Posts)
Eminybob Sat 15-Mar-14 19:53:11

I've been suffering with this since about 14 weeks pg, but quite mild, just some numbness in my fingers in the night if I sleep funny on my hands.

However, just over the last week or so my wrists have been sore throughout the day and they are getting worse.

I spoke with my midwife a few days ago who said she could refer me for physio but at the time is wasn't too bad so I said I was ok, but it has been really bad today.

Has anyone else had this? I'm worried it'll get even worse, I'm only 20 weeks now so still a way to go. Any experience?

Also, I don't know if it's relevant, but for years I've suffered from ulna nerve entrapment which is similar to carpal tunnel but effects the elbow and the little and ring fingers rather than the thumb and first 2 fingers. So I don't know if I'm more likely to suffer worse with the carpal tunnel?

I've asked the midwife but she didn't really have much knowledge on it.

Thanks

swampusdonkus Sat 15-Mar-14 20:51:18

Hi, I have also been hit by carpal tunnel in both wrists. I had no idea it could affect pregnant women and I had no idea it could be be so damn painful! It started when I was about 25 weeks and the pain hit overnight - it was not a gradual thing. It is concentrated in my wrists and runs down my thumbs. I also can't 'spread' my fingers much (I also have SPD and it is like a hand version of that).

I did some research into it and ended up wearing snowboarding wrist protectors at night; they stop the wrist from bending and definitely help (they do cheap wrist splints on ebay as an alternative). I have subsequently spoke to my GP, who said that the pain is worse in the morning because we tend to tuck our hands into ourselves when we sleep, so aggravating the pain. Stopping ourselves from doing this with splints or supports will reduce the pain the next day. I have also been referred to physio so we'll see what comes from that but in the meantime the protectors help (although I have woken up to find them on the floor next to the bed or velcroed to the mattress having taken them off half asleep!).

I don't know if it gradually gets worse; in my case it started so suddenly and has stayed as painful since it began (now 29w). Get some splints for now - good luck.

Eminybob Sat 15-Mar-14 20:59:59

Thanks swampus I'll give the splints a go.
I didn't know about carpal tunnel effected pregnant women either until I started getting it. It's weird isn't it? Just another symptom to add to the list. The things we go through eh?

PossumPoo Sat 15-Mar-14 21:10:12

I had it too from about 25 weeks and just literally woke up with it one day. It was shit and you have my sympathies! I used wrist bandages in the end as it was waking me up in the night. My GP helpfully told me that if you have it once you are likely to experience it in subsequent pregnancies...

polkadotdelight Sat 15-Mar-14 21:16:38

It is very common in pregnancy and is supposed to ease after birth. A futuro splint is worth trying.

PossumPoo Sat 15-Mar-14 21:26:54

Mine did go away after DD was born, but not straight away, maybe after a week or so? But definitely no problems now.

noshthis Sat 15-Mar-14 21:34:22

I had this really bad in my last trimester! It didn't go away completely until about 6 weeks after birth. I was so scared it was there to stay but it finally got better. Don't be surprised if it doesn't disappear magically after birth. Which is what I expected! Bandages helped me in the night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now