Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Weight gain-17weeks!!

(7 Posts)
Mmolly2013 Sat 15-Mar-14 18:19:30

So I'm 17 weeks pregnant and so far have gained around 11lbs I feel like this is loads and I just can't seem to eat healthy or even exercise.

Feel so fat and can't be bothered doing anything about it. Should I have gained less by now

mlbear Sat 15-Mar-14 19:02:42

I don't really know what a normal weight gain is, but if your MW is worried I'm sure they'll say something & advise you about diet & exercise.
The weather is brightening up, so maybe start going for walks the fresh air will do you good.
I always find it easy to have light salads & fruit when Sun is shining smile
But in the beginning I just wanted crap! Cheese, crisps, mcds!
A wise mumsnetter said you want salt in the beginning cos your body knows you can't get food posing from crisps & junk.

TheSumofUs Sat 15-Mar-14 19:11:35

If you are worried talk to your doctor / midwife but to be honest it sounds fine - I'm not sure there is a"normal"

I put on 20 pounds by 20 weeks - I was gutted because I was swimming every day and eating very healthily -on my due date Id put on 43 pounds in total- I looked like marshmallow man

Is lost all the weight within 9 months of giving birth and back to pre pregnancy weight

Second pregnancy I didn't swim because I had toddler and I kind of are whatever I wanted - exact same weight game as first time - a whopping 43 pounds - all gone again 9 months after birth

Moral of the story - done stress it because your body will do what it's programmed to do

Be healthy and take some gentle exercise - this too will pass grin

eurochick Sat 15-Mar-14 19:15:47

I'm 16 weeks and have put on 10lbs, so similar to you OP. I feel big because I was at the max weight I am comfortable with when I got my BFP, but I am not stressing. It can come off once the baby's out.

Mmolly2013 Sat 15-Mar-14 19:55:42

good to know my bmi was 25 before my bfp. Going to try exercise more

PenguinsEatSpinach Sat 15-Mar-14 20:33:59

There is no 'should have'. Just try and eat as healthily as you are able and be as active as you can manage. That might be brilliantly healthy and still running at the gym at 17 weeks. Or it might be only able to stomach a small and horrifically unhealthy list of foods and barely able to lift yourself from the sofa.

FWIW, I have (in three pregnancies) gained a lot in the first trimester, very little in the second and then a moderate amount in the third. I also, sadly, seem to be genetically programmed to get a pregnant arse. Every time no matter what I do!

Tea1Sugar Sat 15-Mar-14 20:58:37

I'm 34+4 and I've put on 33lbs! I blame the staffroom cake and biscuits for most of it. Now I'm on maternity leave and the sun is out I've been enjoying long walks and salads rather than quick grab food during my lunch break. There's no "should" weight gain, we are all individual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now