Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

mucus plug / show?!

(20 Posts)
mlbear Sat 15-Mar-14 18:10:52

Hi all
I'm 36wk & had a MW app yesterday, the baby's head is fully engaged! MW said could be any day now..!
Went to the loo earlier today, there was a jelly blob (TMI!) But it didn't register it would be anything, next time I went to the loo there was brown / bloody snot substance (TMI!) This is my plug / show ?
Is there going to be more that comes out as there wasn't a lot of it?
I have had pretty severe backache today too, but I've been powering through it as I've had the urge to clean, nesting perhaps? smile
How much time do you think it'll be until my waters go?
Could I still go to 40 weeks?
Trying to keep calm & not get too excited, I'm going to put my feet up for the rest of the evening smile

NancyJones Sat 15-Mar-14 18:23:02

Is this your first? Just asking because first babies tend to engage much earlier than subsequent ones who often don't engage at all until labour starts.
As for your plug, I understand if can go up to 6wks before labour actually starts. Having said that, it's often an indication that labour is close although it doesn't indicate that you're actually in labour. I'd say the loss of plug plus the nasty backache would suggest you're nearly there. But who knows?!?
Good luck!

NancyJones Sat 15-Mar-14 18:25:31

Just to clarify, yes, I would say what you described was your plug/a show. It is ok for it to be blood tinged but I think if the loss of plug is accompanied by fresh blood loss or that happens subsequently you must go up and be checked out.

mlbear Sat 15-Mar-14 18:32:13

Yes this is my first.
My stomach keeps tensing & going really solid & I'm getting twinge pains plus back ache.
No loss of water & I don't think these pains are strong enough to be contractions so I'm just trying to relax, but my mind is going ten to the dozen mentally repacking my bags!
I've googled but no where really suggests a time frame of when I can expect baby

NancyJones Sat 15-Mar-14 19:28:32

Oh sounds like something is happening though! Stay as active as possible. Don't sit on the sofa, go for a power walk, bounce on your birthing ball just keep moving whilst you can. Do you have a tens machine? These early stages (latent labour) can take days with your first and the tens machine can be useful. Of course, it may also be far quicker than the average first birth and you're just not feeling too much yet. I do know someone who asked the MW to check her out at her 40wk antenatal app as she thought she was having twinges and she was actually 6cm dilated already. First baby! So you never know with labour.

A nice warm bath can be a good idea too. Sometimes it stops everything for a few hours but it can also speed them up. My first became quick and intense within 2mins of getting in the bath.

Good luck. Hope things progress smoothly for you. Just checked and noticed you're only 36wks. I'd give triage a call if the backache and twinges continue as you're still 2wks off term and they may want to keep an eye on you if you are in labour. I'm sure it will all be fine! smile

BitsinTatters Sat 15-Mar-14 19:35:14

Sounds like some thing to me!

This is how my 1st labour started. My waters didn't go til I was 8cm

Good luck

Standinginline Sat 15-Mar-14 19:39:57

With my first I had a show a week before ,with my second it was literally half hour before I gave birth. It means it'll be soon ,but as to how soon is a different matter.

mlbear Sat 15-Mar-14 19:40:00

Thanks smile Ive been on the ball bouncing to encourage something more to happen, Ihought about getting a bath, but I don't want it stop anything more from happening or slow it down.
I know I'm just a tad early for anything to really start now, I'll ring MW Monday if there has been no change for more advice. smile

EugenesAxe Sat 15-Mar-14 19:46:02

Yeah sounds like the plug to me. Could be strong Braxton's but agree it sounds as though things are moving along. Contractions hurt... (normally... lucky person getting to 6cm without being in agony!), I realised BH for what they were more with my second - they sort of feel like someone's put a constriction all over your bump, or that there's absolutely no space left in there, but they aren't truly painful smile

And waters are fickle - mine went just before the head came out.

Yay! Nearly with your baby!

mlbear Sat 15-Mar-14 19:48:36

Ok TMI, but each time I go to the loo, there's a bit more there. Is there going to be a large amount? Some sites say it can grow back!?!

mlbear Sat 15-Mar-14 19:51:25

Thank you everyone, I'm getting excited, but I'm trying to stay calm in case baby keeps me waiting!
He's become very active, so maybe he's getting excited to join the world!

GreenShadow Sat 15-Mar-14 20:00:58

With my first, i had a show exactly 24 hours before the baby arrived. No breaking of waters at all. was never aware of a show with ds2 or 3.

NancyJones Sat 15-Mar-14 20:27:11

It's quite common for the plug to come away in bits or stages sometimes over a day or two. Don't worry too much as long as it's not bloody. Pink tinge or old sort of dried looking blood is ok I think but any bright red blood needs to be looked at.
As long as the show isn't bloody and you're not losing water then it's a waiting game. Exciting though, especially with your first. smile I remember that feeling. I think I'm going to have it a little this time even though it's my 4th as it's my first girl after 3 boys. smile

redcaryellowcar Sat 15-Mar-14 20:36:17

I lost a plug around 35 wks and again t 38+2, ds arrived at 38+3, around 12 hours after the second plug went.
I would advise differently to others, as if you are going into labour, you will get very tired, so rather than bouncing on a ball i think you might be better to have a bath a couple of paracetamol and try to get some sleep or at least rest!

mrscog Sat 15-Mar-14 20:39:29

I'm sure it will be a bit longer but I'm just marking my place in case this turns into a live labour thread! I lost a big chunk of my plug at 39+1 then went into labour at 39+5.

EugenesAxe Sat 15-Mar-14 20:58:13

Sorry mibear - my plug; I lost a clear blob about size of 20p in the shower. Next day I had a huge splodge on my toilet paper - about the diameter of a small orange if it was made a circle. It was darker mucus and slightly streaky.

EugenesAxe Sat 15-Mar-14 20:58:35

And labour day after big splodge.

mlbear Sun 16-Mar-14 13:30:06

Hi all, I had a bigger show this morning, & a few cramps & back pain. Nothing to build a pattern up.
I called my birth centre this morning, they told me to take paracetamol & have a bath, & monitor the pains if they get worse I need to ring back today.
If they are still dull aches I need to call back tomorrow.
I had a long soak, but the aches were still there afterwards. So I'm just having a gossip girl binge & relaxing - too uncomfortable to nap!
Thanks for all your comments, I'll keep you updated if it does turn into a birth thread! smile

Slh122 Sun 16-Mar-14 14:06:59

How exciting smile I remember that exciting feeling of 'is it happening?!'
Keep us updated.

mlbear Thu 20-Mar-14 09:26:59

Boo baby is still in there! Had some more brownish discharge & period pains. Hospital says it's just more 'show'
I'm now 37 weeks so I don't mind if he makes an appearance now, it will be horrendous if he makes me wait to 40(+!!)
I have been for a nice long walk & been bouncing on my yoga ball & even had sex, baby is only going to come on his terms...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now