Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

transabdominal or transvaginal?

(16 Posts)
alita7 Thu 13-Mar-14 22:25:07

I'm having a scan next week due to some problems, I'll be 6+ 5.

Will they try transabdominal first and do transvaginal if they need to or just go straight for transvaginal?

Jollyb Thu 13-Mar-14 22:26:41

Probably TV

squizita Thu 13-Mar-14 22:28:46

Before 8 weeks they usually do transvaginal in my experience. It doesn't hurt and is completely harmless, although not that dignified.

alita7 Thu 13-Mar-14 23:37:08

I had one when I had a mmc as they were double checking they couldn't find a heart beat (incase I'd got dates wrong) and at that point I didn't care and would have done anything to hear a hb. I'm worried about baby so hopefully that will cover any worry about having someone stick something in my private parts though the thought isn't exactly appealing!

Boogles91 Fri 14-Mar-14 00:15:09

They will try a normal scan first and will tell you if they cant see anything that they then need to do a transvaginal one. Its perfectly safe and doesnt hurt smile they did this with me bith thimes, but 2nd time i could see our lil bean in there with his heart beating away smile so i only had to have normal one as he was clear as day smile x

confuddledDOTcom Fri 14-Mar-14 00:29:50

Usually that early it will be TV. They're quite thin and well lubed, you can ask if you can put it in yourself, some will let you, I find it's easier because you can direct it better than they can.

surromummy Fri 14-Mar-14 00:35:08

definitely TV at 6wks

alita7 Fri 14-Mar-14 08:10:17

Thanks guys!
Also if all is well what should I expect to see/ hear? I've seen pics on Google but they are stills. Will there be any movement at all and will the heartbeat sound slow or fast - I don't eat to worry about no movement if they can't move yet :p

greentshirt Fri 14-Mar-14 08:27:19

You won't see anything that really means anything, I had an abdominal scan at 6+3 and the pic is just a bit of a blur with a few dots. On the screen you could see a little flicker of heartbeat and I wouldn't have even noticed it unless it had bend pointed out!!

NotWithoutMyMerkin Fri 14-Mar-14 08:32:06

You won't hear the hb, just see it flickering

Stargirl7 Fri 14-Mar-14 08:39:23

Had one recently at 7 weeks and it was TV. Doesn't hurt, you just look a bit funny with feet in the stirrups and your bum hanging over the edge. Gives the best results for early pregnancy. Good luck!

cookielove Fri 14-Mar-14 08:41:22

I had one at 7 weeks it was Ta. I saw a little bean with a flickering hb!

Booboostoo Fri 14-Mar-14 09:49:26

I had one at 7 weeks with previous pregnancy and one at 6 weeks with this one. Both started off transabdominal but couldn't see well enough so did transvaginal instead. It doesn't hurt at all and it's over quite quickly. There isn't much to see, just a blob but you get to hear the heartbeat.

confuddledDOTcom Fri 14-Mar-14 10:15:37

they look like kidney beans with a little flicker.

btw I've never heard of stirrups for tv us before confused so don't automatically expect it.

CorporeSarnie Fri 14-Mar-14 10:28:16

Depends on the equipment available. They will start ta if possible and move to tv if they don't get good enough view. I've had two scan sessions early this pregnancy and scared the sonographer by starting to take my knickers off!

alita7 Fri 14-Mar-14 10:34:26

Haha thanks guys. so lots of different experiences then so we will see!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now