Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Voicemail from hospital after 20 week scan

(23 Posts)
firsttimedadtobe Thu 13-Mar-14 22:10:23

We got home from work today to find a voicemail from the hospital asking my wife to call them. We had the 20 week scan 9 days ago, so I am hoping that it is something routine as a long time after for them to call with something serious, however my wife is obviously worried and barely sleeping as it is.
During the scan we were told everything normal, and the notes say the same... So why are they phoning?

KitKat1985 Thu 13-Mar-14 22:19:45

Would have thought it would be very unlikely to be anything serious after 9 days, and probably isn't related to the scan at all. Did your wife have bloods or anything else done that it could be related to? It may well just be that they need to re-schedule your next appointment or something equally mundane. Try not to worry. xx

ThingsThatGoBumpInTheNight Thu 13-Mar-14 22:22:46

Bloods I bet

Probably to say low iron or something, they can't leave messages because its confidential x

firsttimedadtobe Thu 13-Mar-14 22:30:45

Thanks.. she didnt have bloods done at the time, and they have all been with the midwife, not the hospital anyway.

However I have just panicked again as we just checked the number and called back and it went to their voicemail and was the radiology dept.

We werent expecting to have another hospital appt though, and no indication at the time of scan we would need one. Thought it was just midwife and GP from here?

StarsInTheNightSky Thu 13-Mar-14 22:35:15

I think it sounds like something routine too, if your wife took a urine sample it could be they picked up a UTI and want to prescribe antibiotics, or could be they forgot to ask you to book your next appointment and want to get it booked, anything like that.

Our midwife said tome not long ago that if it's ever anything serious the hospital will either tell you at the time or phone within two days if it's something they discover after you've left (like blood or urine testing). I'm not sure if it's the same at your hospital, but I doubt they would leave it nine days if it was something to be concerned about.

It is so worrying though, please try not to get too stressed about it, the chances are that it's something really dull like they forgot to attach a page of notes and so are having to post them to you (I had them phone for this once hmm).

StarsInTheNightSky Thu 13-Mar-14 22:40:04

Sorry, posted before I saw your reply. On your scan report, does it say anything about the placenta being low lying or covering the cervix (usually referred to in notes as the "os")? If so, could be they want to schedule a scan to check placenta position at between 32 - 36 weeks.

I would try not to worry about it being the radiology department, I phoned back once and it was the oncology department, but turned out the midwife was just phoning from there as they were having problems with the phones in the antenatal clinic and oncology was next door. Scared the heck out of me though!

StarsInTheNightSky Thu 13-Mar-14 22:41:52

Oh, and sometimes in hospitals if the phones are set to voicemail in one department, they glitch and automatically divert to another department's voicemail. I've had this too, which again was very frightening and not very helpful.

firsttimedadtobe Thu 13-Mar-14 22:43:15

We thought about the placenta, amazing how much you find out on google in a short time, but it says anterior, not low, structure normal.

Also the midwife is at the local health centre, and not at the hospital.

Hopefully it is just a bit of the notes were missing.

sleeplessbunny Thu 13-Mar-14 22:45:58

I had this after my 20 wk scan. It turned out that there had been someone in the clinic at the same time as me who had parovirus, although they hadn't known it at the time. THey were calling everyone who could have been exposed to recommend an immunity test.

Just to make the point that it could be something really minor so try not to panic!

firsttimedadtobe Thu 13-Mar-14 22:47:27

Thank you all... hoping its minor. We will be on the phone at 9 on the dot!

ItsSpringBaby Thu 13-Mar-14 22:53:29

I would not Google or speculate if I were you, it just causes very unnecessary worry and upset. I know it's hard not to, but obviously no one here can give you an answer until you call back during working hours and speak to someone. It could be something or nothing, but more often it's nothing.

StarsInTheNightSky Thu 13-Mar-14 22:56:20

Do you have any other complications or are you requesting an elective ceasarean? If you have any other complications which might mean you need a planned section, anything which puts you at higher risk of an emergency section or if you want an elective, my hospital have a policy of scanning at 36 weeks to check placenta position if you have an anterior placenta, even if it isn't low and structure is normal. Perhaps it's something like that.

I've had the hospital phone for bad news before (have had previous losses) and they've always phoned very promptly, in my opinion it honestly doesn't sound like anything you should be worried about, although I know that's easy to say.

I really hope it is something dull and that you get answers at 9am sharp.

Boogles91 Thu 13-Mar-14 23:56:32

Im sure its nirmal smile mabey they have found something on your wifes kidneys wich will be fine(not serious) as radiology deprmnts are normally all types of scans, not just for the babys ultrasound. If it was something to do witht the baby they would have told you straight away. So i think its more or less to do with your wife. Mabey they saw something or think they have and need a second look, wich alot of the time they seem to struggle with passing this info on lol and then just send you for tests without even discussing. Hope all goes well for you both x

JustDanni Fri 14-Mar-14 04:29:06

could be to change a next appointment.
I had a call like that a week ago. turned out they were changing the booking system so some people might need rescheduled.

GingerRodgers Fri 14-Mar-14 08:13:51

It's more than likely an admin type thing. Hope you get some answers soon and hope you managed some sleep.

isitme1 Fri 14-Mar-14 08:17:46

Hope you get some answers soon
they might be there at 8.30?

alita7 Fri 14-Mar-14 08:30:24

You never know could be as simple as you left you scarf behind...let us know though.

firsttimedadtobe Fri 14-Mar-14 09:08:10

Phew. Was actually related to some tests we were having trying to conceive a year ago and they were phoning to see if we needed a follow up which obviously we don't.
Just a case of bad timing thankfully, although the day after the scan would have been worse!

firsttimedadtobe Fri 14-Mar-14 09:08:31

Thanks for the reassurances

isitme1 Fri 14-Mar-14 09:44:46

Glad its nothing to worry about

annaban Fri 14-Mar-14 16:11:30

Great news grin good luck with the rest of the pregnancy

Floggingmolly Fri 14-Mar-14 16:14:14

Brilliant! flowers

nc060 Fri 14-Mar-14 16:22:41

Woohoo smile x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now