Talk

Advanced search

how do you agree on names?

(9 Posts)
HelenHen Thu 13-Mar-14 19:00:50

We can't even talk about it without arguing! sad

With ds we could not agree on a Boys name but had a definite girls name! We then agreed on a Boys name we both kinda liked and dh 'let me' have the second name after he saw how bad Labour was.

Now with dc2, we have the same girls name but today dh said he doesn't like it now, asked what our back up was and said he prefers that (I like them both). Now he says cos I 'picked' the girls name, he should be allowed pick Boys name! His choice is a name I don't mind. I was gonna let him have it if we could not agree on something better. I didn't tell him that though cos then he wouldn't try and come up with anything better.

He's just pissed me off though by going into a strop and trying to insist we use the name he wants! Now I'm tempted to veto it altogether which I know is childish.

Grrrr... Sorry, just needed to rant! sad

So how did you agree?

Sparkle9 Thu 13-Mar-14 19:03:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MyNameIsKenAdams Thu 13-Mar-14 19:06:44

I randomly call out names to dh and he either says "hmmm" in which case I add it to my mental list or "urgh no!" So I put it at the bottom of my list.

He will randomly suggest names, too, and if I say "hmm" I add them to my list and if I think "urgh!" I tell him.no and it doesnt go on the list.

When in labour I offer all the names on the list (by which time ive filtered it down to three) and we decide.

Thats how it worked last time. This time, I have a name I want which got a "hmm" from dh and its top of the list.Girls. No idea at all on boys names so ill just wait til dh mentions one I like and add that to the list.

alita7 Thu 13-Mar-14 19:12:39

If he likes the one you picked and doesn't have any/many he liked more, it was partly his choice so you didn't completely pick it!
It's important that you both like the names enough to be happy with them.
Maybe see what you're having then start again as it's not really fair if you pick the girl and he picks the boy if you have a boy...

We just have list's for either atm of names that we both like. He has so few ideas though that I've let some I don't like much on the list so he's actually contributed... probably won't go with them.

If it comes to it put all the names you both like in a hat/ bag and get ds1 to pull a name out.

roseinwinter Thu 13-Mar-14 19:16:44

I would say wait until the baby is born. I know it's hard and I scoffed at everyone who gave us that advice but it was so easy once she was here. She was in neo natal and I wanted to name her straight away so we both said two names and lo and behold we each said one of the same name.
For middle name DH suggested a name I had mentioned a couple of weeks before and he had dismissed. I didn't remind him about that but just agreed quickly.
Job done!

cathpip Thu 13-Mar-14 19:19:44

We had this problem. My dh suggested x amount of names and if I didn't like them they were crossed off the list, I did the same. We came to an agreement on all of our dc's names, none of them have my fave name and none have my dh's fave name, but we both liked the names that were chosen. If my dh had thrown a strop I would certainly be vetoing any name he suggested smile

whiteblossom Thu 13-Mar-14 19:29:30

ahhh see I thought of this and have already started dropping names, but you know the really bad comedy names like fernado (as in the song) and moriarty hehe, so when I do get to names I like they don't sound so bad. So far its funny but we do both quite like moriarty [hmmm] (Sherlock holmes enemy)

HelenHen Thu 13-Mar-14 20:25:28

Lol well the back up girls name was one I suggested ages ago, he didn't like it but something told me to hang on to it... Now he prefers it grin but our first choice girls name was originally his suggestion so I reckon he's decided against that cos he wants his way with the Boys name instead!

In all honesty, I will probably go with his boys choice but if he throws one more strop, it's gone! And if we do go with it, im certainly picking middle name!

HelenHen Thu 13-Mar-14 20:27:30

But yep rose, I wanna wait til we see the child anyway! I didn't bring up the topic cos I knew we'd argue!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now