Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

SPD Is becoming unbearable :,(

(6 Posts)
SweetPea86 Thu 13-Mar-14 17:06:43

I've had spd from about 16 weeks I knew I had it before I even went to docs, the pain was more around my bum and tops of legs and lower back.

Now at 35 weeks it's unbearable I went on matenrity at 30 weeks and once I finished work it eased off as my job meant me standing on my feet 40 hours a week.

The last two weeks it's stepped up a notch and feels like I've been kicked in the groin. I'm sat in bed at 5 pm on a lovely sunny afternoon as it's the only place comfortable hubby has just had to help me off the sofa and up the stairs, I've never felt this before and really worried.

I can barely walk. Has any one else suffered like this, I'm worried that it will effect labour sad

EarlGreyCuppa Thu 13-Mar-14 17:16:03

SweetPea is this your first pregnancy? And have you been prescribed any pain meds to manage the pain? If not, please please please get something for the pain, I was prescribed Tramadol during my SPD pregnancy, I especially needed it for the night time as I found sleep positions incredibly painful.

My maternity physio gave me several support belts to wear, suggested I get support pillows to use in bed and we talked through various birthing positions (which I didn't actually need as I ended up having a c-section) - have you discussed this with anyone? You mustn't sustain any more injury during the birth.

Also, the physio gave me crutches to use during the last few months of my pg, I know some women end up in wheelchairs.

I still use a body pillow between my knees in bed now (11 years later), it's just far more comfortable for me.

You've only a few more weeks top go, you can do it! Get some help and pain meds, rest up and focus on your lovely baby in 5 weeks' time.

Have you had a look at pelvic partnership they might have something useful for you. (((hugs)))

ToriaPumpkin Thu 13-Mar-14 17:32:04

I second getting some pain relief and seeing the obstetric physio if you can. In my last pregnancy I managed with a belt but this time have needed co-codamol and crutches and they really have made everything much more bearable.

The physio will also be able to advise you on birthing positions and what to put in your birth plan so the MWs can do their best by you.

You have all my sympathy, SPD really is the pits! If it makes you feel better mine passed very quickly last time, I was able to walk around the ward by myself within an hour or so of birth.

SweetPea86 Thu 13-Mar-14 17:38:54

Thanks ladies, at 28 weeks I told a midwfie about my pains as I was due to leave work. She replyed awww bless you. So I kind of just assumed it was summit I had to get on with. I told my midwfie who's really lovely on Monday about the pain becoming worse and she said I should get some physio so she's requested that for me. But will it help at 35 weeks I worried I've left it to late.

This is my first pregnancy I'm scared enough about the pain with labour let alone how painful I am now.

I have had a decent nights sleep every time turn I wake up in agony.

For now I've took just paracetamol but will ring my midwfie tomorrow about something a bit stronger.

does it go once you've had baby. I could cry sad

McFlurry Thu 13-Mar-14 17:45:52

I found a support bent helpful and I was prescribed co-codomol for the pain. I found sitting on a gym/birthing ball most comfortable and felt like I barely moved off mine for the last few weeks (and I went 11days overdue!)

The good news is that it does ease considerably after birth. Well, mine did anyway. Less than 24 hours afterwards, I was sitting cross legged on my hospital bed and more or less pain free. However I did have mild pain on and off until I stopped breast feeding and hormone levels returned to normal, but nowhere near as bad a before birth.

SPD is miserable and you can't begin to describe the pain to someone who hasn't experienced it but hang in there, the end is in sight.

SweetPea86 Thu 13-Mar-14 18:34:32

Thanks mcflurry smile nice to know it eases off after birth smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now