Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fainting every day and it's really getting me down.

(6 Posts)
MrsHelenBee Thu 13-Mar-14 11:08:54

Hi everyone,
Just hopng for some reassurance as I don't seem to be getting anywhere with medical advice.
I'm 30wk pg with my second DS, and feeling awful every day. From the moment I get up to the minute I go to bed at night, I'm dizzy and wobbly on my feet. I constantly collide with furniture and have to hold on for dear life on stairs as, worst of all, when the feeling intensifies, I faint, up to 3 or even 4 times a day. I get no warning andthere's no pattern in terms of the time of day it happens.
I've all but given up driving as I don't feel at all safe and have a 2 and 1/2 year old to look after, but even short walks with DS in the buggy have proved fated and I've keeled over outside, only to come round to an understandably distressed son.
3 different doctors at my surgery seem unphased. I had the same symptoms with DS1, so one GP has said "It's obviously what you do when you're pregnant, so just accept it." My midwife feels it's symptomatic of anaemia - which I'm being treated for - but doctors just shrug it off and say there's nothing they can do.
I'm so down now, every day is a struggle. I'm covered in bruises, fearful of going out and having it happen in public, or passing out when I'm holding my son and potentially hurting him too.

Has anyone else had this? Does anyone else know why it's happening? I'd do anything to feel better, it's miserable.

Foxeym Thu 13-Mar-14 13:08:20

I had this with DC2, I understand completely as I felt so awful. Mine was put down to anaemia and low blood pressure and I was also told there was nothing they could do. I just had to get up slowly, not stand for long. My DC1 was 2 at the time and I remember dreading there being a queue in any shop as I knew I wouldn't make it to the front without keeling over. I used to even faint sitting down, how is that even possible? When I found out I was pregnant with DC3 I dreaded getting it again but other than a few early days of dizziness, it never reared it's ugly head again. I know this hasn't been much help but just wanted you to know that you're not alone and a bit of hand holding as I know it's a miserable thing to have

Nahmate Thu 13-Mar-14 14:15:42

I have this too, I feel rubbish 24/7. Constantly dizzy, I have to make sure I have a decent lie down between school runs/looking after dd during the day. I can't queue for longer than 5 mins,

mines been put down to anaemia and low bp. Nothing can be done I've been told.

Sorry nothing useful here, but your not alone I know how hard and depressing it is sad im 34weeks now. xx

MrsHelenBee Thu 13-Mar-14 17:55:18

Oh thanks both of you, really appreciate the comments. I didn't rally expect to find a solution, more the reassurance that I'm not alone - and you've both given me that.
I've been told my BP is within the safe range but about as low as it can without that, so maybe it's the same as with both of you.
I have a number of other complications, which are making it hard-going, but I think the fainting has been the most soul-destroying as I feel so anxious and alone, and utterly miserable getting up each day knowing it will be exactly the same as the last.
I do try not to stand for long, and never get up quickly, but I've also been on the sofa and felt it was about to happen. It didn't but it seems mad that anyone could faint when they're resting to that extent.
I feel a lot better for knowing I'm not the only one. I appreciate there's nothing I or anyone else can do about it, but the words of the GP's I've seen have left me feling very downhearted. How do I simply 'suck it up'? None of them has been in the least bit understanding or supportive, so having someone on here say they know what it feels like does a lot to stop me feeling like I'm going mad.
Can't believe I'm actually feeling slightly envious of you Nahmate - somehow 30 weeks feels such a long way behind 34 weeks. Either way, roll on week 40 for all of us and the end of such tough pregnancies.

tobiasfunke Thu 13-Mar-14 18:32:19

I really symapthise I had this as well. It happened me from 28 weeks when I was pregnant. It was caused by low bp due to anaemia. Although my iron levels were borderline they were too low for me as some people are more sensitive to the amount of iron in their blood.
I remember the feeling of sitting on the sofa feeling I was going to faint. I would wake up in the middle of the night covered in sweat feeling truly awful as my bp had got so low. MW and Gp's where equally unhelpful, I got the -'just be lucky you don't have high bp'. Mine got better as soon as my iron levels went up- I was mainlining the iron tablets. It took about 2 weeks to feel vaguely human again.
MY bp stayed fairly low but never as bad as that month until I delivered and I ended up losing blood and spending the first 6 weeks after Ds was born with low bp and more iron tablets.

LegoCaltrops Thu 13-Mar-14 18:51:09

I had this too, fainting most weeks from about 12 weeks pregnant, and then by the time I was 28 weeks, I was fainting most days. I was off sick from work continuously from 29 weeks, straight onto mat leave at 36 weeks. In my case it was low blood pressure, I was blue lighted to hospital on one occasion as it was accompanied by abdominal pain! Was well known round town for fainting & got to know lots of the local first aiders really well... they were all really nice about it. I also had appalling insomnia which probably didn't help.

By the way, DD is very healthy and appeared at 40+4, despite many bad faints quite late on in the pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now