Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do babies quieter down before birth or is it a myth?

(13 Posts)
Mummyk1982 Thu 13-Mar-14 06:46:25

Just that really. After a very active weekend my little lady is quieter than she was. Usual waking patterns, same movements but just generally less fidgety. No cause for concern and feeling loads of movements in 24 hrs. Just wondered whether people had experienced this 'conservation of energy' that babies supposedly do before birth? Am wondering if that's what it is :-)

Roseandmabelshouse Thu 13-Mar-14 06:52:13

Nope and if they are reduced you should contact the ward for a check. Always better to be safe

Only I think as less room to move! So not a sudden change.
Well babies have sleepy days and busy days like everyone...... not sure if it was me whether I would go down to ward to check it out or not, but there's no harm in doing so if you're uncertain and they really don't mind you doing it!

Mummyk1982 Thu 13-Mar-14 07:36:33

Not worried in the slightest, she's still wriggling away at the moment- just not as harsh/jerky- probably just running out of room. My mum commented that she's 'dropped' as well yesterday so perhaps less room down there! :-)

dyslexicdespot Thu 13-Mar-14 07:39:30

I agree with Rose, it might be best to phone your midwife/ward.

ReallyGoodDrawer Thu 13-Mar-14 08:00:03

I would contact midwife and get checked. countthekicks.org.uk

PenguinsEatSpinach Thu 13-Mar-14 09:22:38

I would agree with others. There is a difference between reduced movement, which is something you should always get checked out, and the way movements can change in late pregnancy. As they get more and more cramped the movements tend to be more shoves, elbows, knees, etc and far fewer big kicks, flips, etc.

kjh5 Thu 13-Mar-14 09:45:53

Mummy I've experienced the same thing with my LO. I'm 34+3. He's active at at about the same sort of times and there isn't an hour that goes by that I don't feel him move in some way about BUT he used to kick the hell out of me and now his movements seem to be more stretching, pushing out (and hiccuping!) than actual kicks. I wouldn't say the movement is reduced, just that it has changed quite a lot. I'm not worried about it, saw my GP on Monday for usual check up and he has a good strong heartbeat and she said he was doing well. I'm keeping a sharp eye out for any reduction in movement but I think he is dropping down (I HOPE he is!) and there is definitely less room to move in there!

Mummytobe2014 Thu 13-Mar-14 13:08:56

I experienced this a few days ago, called ward who said as long as baby was moving it was ok but to be vigilent on movements etc then my mw said it wasnt unusual in this late stage as they have less room to move and as pp mentioned they have active days and lazy days smile

Writerwannabe83 Thu 13-Mar-14 13:26:53

I'm 38 weeks tomorrow and over the last few days I've noticed a subtle change. I'm not worried as I still feel baby move constantly throughout the day but his movements are definitely more gentle and muffled - as though he genuinely has ran out of room.

He's a big lad (I have growth scans every 4 weeks) and he is over the 100th percentile line on his chart and I think he's just wedged in me now as opposed to having lots of room to spin around and kick about smile

HannahG315 Thu 13-Mar-14 13:31:52

I'm a couple of days overdue and my little one keeps having spurts then really docile.

I've just kept my eye on it. Not worried either, I can spend the whole day just feeling him tilt here and there and the next day he's fidgeting away at every noise going!

Isn't the rule 4 movements an hours.

pumpkinsweetie Thu 13-Mar-14 13:47:17

I wouldn't say they quieten down, that would be a worry.

The movements are more subtler, rather than full acrobatics.
You should still keep the same pattern, anything that feels different in your particular baby's pattern should always be checked out. Alot of babies can be saved by noticing changes, Count the kicks website has lots of info

CrispyFB Thu 13-Mar-14 13:52:56

The movements change a bit in nature - fewer sharp kicks, more rolls.

In labour I tend to notice movements less, but that's because one is generally concentrating on the contractions. But I can only presume baby moves around the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now