Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Chicken pox

(8 Posts)
Jamjar100 Wed 12-Mar-14 20:35:44

Hi there, I'm 37 weeks and 1 day and have 9 days to go till my c section. My 3 year old has just come out in chicken pox and hubby thinks he may have shingles!!!! I'm not worried about me as have had chicken pox so feel its unlikely i will catch it but what happens when baby comes along? Will I have to be in quarantine with him and ban my daughter and hubby from meeting him till all cleared up??? Sorry if this sounds flappy but I'm feeling stressed out. Please let me know if anyone knows what is the right thing to do.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 12-Mar-14 21:00:55

surely they would be past the contagious stage by then?

Bb14 Wed 12-Mar-14 21:01:40

Not a medical expert but I believe your newborn will have some immunity from you in the womb plus breast feeding passes on antibodies. Also in 9days time all the spots should have crusted over so there shouldn't be any risk (not sure about shingles) good luck!

ilovepowerhoop Wed 12-Mar-14 21:03:16

3 year old - chicken pox will stop being contagious once crusted - normally 5-7 days after first spot appears

your dh - you can get chicken pox from shingles but only through direct contact with fluid from the blisters so if they are kept covered he is unlikely to pass CP on.

Jamjar100 Wed 12-Mar-14 21:32:18

Thank you all so much for replies, I'm sure it will all be fine but keep reading about how it can be fatal for newborns! I'm feeling so hormonal I can't think straight, just need to reach the end of my pregnancy now!

jazzyjenbo Wed 12-Mar-14 23:04:27

My son got his first chicken pox when my daughter was 1 day old.
I had the pox as a child and was breastfeeding so was told she had very little chance of contracting them even though my son was contagious.
Low and behold at exactly 14 days old she got her first blister and all hell broke loose when the midwife came to call!!
We ended up admitted into childrens hospital on isolation with antibiotic drip for 3 days (not easy to b/f, bond with baby and get ne sleep between 2 hrly drip change)
Bottom line, ur son shouldnt be contagious but u can never be to careful in newborns.. It can be fatal for under 1 mth olds so keep a close eye on ur new baby.
I'm sure u will b fine x x

SarahSPT Thu 13-Mar-14 08:46:08

Hi Jamjar, I spent 3hrs in a&e yesterday with suspected chicken pox (am nearly 28 weeks pregnant). The doctor said to me that it's only 'dangerous' for the baby in the first trimester and in the last few weeks - didn't mention anything about being fatal, don't worry, but said could be born with it.

I would call your midwife and maybe head to the delivery unit today if you can (which is what I did) so they can check the baby is fine and then do some blood tests and throat swabs on you.

You may well be fine - I'm not sure if I've had CP before which is why I was worried. I am currently laid up in bed feeling like absolute shit with flu like symptoms, although no spots as of yet (so might not even have it but was around toddler at weekend with full blown CP).

Good luck and definitely get checked out for peace of mind.

SweetPeaPods Thu 13-Mar-14 08:49:41

The nhs choices has a really good page on chicken pox. Should answer all your questions. If in doubt contact your HV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now