Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

HCG levels - only 40% rise

(8 Posts)
yorkiebilb Wed 12-Mar-14 17:24:53

Hello I'm looking for some advice from others who had their hcg levels monitored in early pregnancy.

I had a BFP following my first ivf on 1st March. I have had a previous missed miscarriage over a year ago. I went in for blood test on Monday (5 weeks 2 days) and my hcg came back as 4,346. My progesterone was really high (311). I've just had my bloods retested and they have come back at 6130 so only a 40% rise over 48 hours. My clinic want me to come in tomorrow to rule out an ectopic pregnancy and I'm really scared that I'm heading for an ectopic or another mmc.

Has anyone got any advice/experience or words of wisdom as I have read all sorts on the internet and I am worrying myself silly!

Thanks v much for reading.

yorkiebilb Wed 12-Mar-14 18:27:17

Anyone?

Manda472 Wed 12-Mar-14 18:32:14

I'm not sure if it does keep doubling after a certain level.
If you are really worried why don't you try fertility friends forum. Go on to the pregnancy boards and see what they say.
Is it possible to have it retested in 48hrs?

yorkiebilb Wed 12-Mar-14 18:42:29

Thanks for responding manda and for the suggestion. I'll have a look on fertility friends. I'll see what they say about a repeat when I have my scan tomorrow.

moominlike Wed 12-Mar-14 18:59:58

Hi, I don't really have any useful advice but I also had a missed miscarriage before and it does make you worry a lot the next time! I was told that it's really common for hcg levels not to double every 48 hours, sometimes it takes 72 hours and there are lots of successful pregnancies where they don't even do that. So don't lose hope! Fingers crossed for you.

yorkiebilb Wed 12-Mar-14 19:11:08

Thanks for responding moom and sorry to read you've had a mmc too. I guess all I can do is wait and cross fingers.

CrispyFB Wed 12-Mar-14 20:07:09

The 48 hour "rule" only really applies to values under 1000. Once you get into the thousands it's all different and slows right down, and the time of day can make a difference too. Assuming precisely 48 hours, that's an 84 hour doubling time, not far off the 48-72 hours they want for under 1000!

Your values sound very reasonable for your gestation, I am actually not sure why your clinic is concerned? It sounds fine to me.. obviously it's no guarantee of a healthy pregnancy at all but it definitely does not mean the opposite either!

yorkiebilb Thu 13-Mar-14 18:12:03

Thanks crispy for your advice.

Had scan and all looks good for dates on one sac. Had another sac as well but is v small so they say it is non viable. But pleased that one is on track so far.

Thanks again all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now