Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What can I take for a headache?

(13 Posts)
firstbaby01 Wed 12-Mar-14 09:30:12

I have had the worst headache ever for 8 days solid and paracetamol is not even touching it sad I cant get a doctor's appointment for another two weeks either! I have seen my midwife who is not concerned and thinks it's just hormones but said I need to see a gp for pain relief. is there anything I can take between now and then that's stronger than paracetamol?

greentshirt Wed 12-Mar-14 09:45:27

Ahh poor you! I resorted to cocodamol for toothache a couple of weeks ago but it didnt help to be honest, I think it depends if the pain is actually caused by anything that can be treated with painkillers, so if its a hormonal headache it may not do anything anyway.

Can you use that forehead gel stuff or is that as useless as paracetamol? Best thing for now is probably to make sure you stay very hydrated and are eating enough, sometimes you dont realise you arent and it can make things worse.

firstbaby01 Wed 12-Mar-14 10:13:45

Thanks! will give cocodamol a try. can you use the forehead gel when your pregnant?

McBaby Wed 12-Mar-14 10:45:43

Soluble painkillers are more easily digested when you have headaches. I found those along with cold gel packs on my head and rest helped. But I also had accupuncturr after it wouldn't clear for nearly two weeks and it had gone nearly instantly and hasn't come back!

Tomkat79 Wed 12-Mar-14 10:46:59

Yes bang on the 4head (perfectly safe) and only thing that worked for me. They are the worst headaches aren't they. Mine cleared for good at 21 weeks. Try 4head and keep drinking water, helped me x

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Wed 12-Mar-14 11:03:41

I have always suffered with Migraine headaches, but in early pregnancy with my daughter they were truly unbelievable. Tried for days and days to cope ('cos I didn't want to take anything) but couldn't even stand up, the pain was so bad, I really thought I must have had a brain tumour, it was affecting my neck muscles (so I couldn't even lift my head) that's how awful I felt. Called the GP in emergency hours, he said it was absolutely fine to take Ibuprofen. I did, and felt so much better

Maybe advice has changed now, as years have gone by (but my daughter is now 21, I did take Ibuprofen, and she is absolutely fine. Maybe just put a call in to your GP for some advice over the phone.

Cocodamol is not always a good thing (as with anything containing Codeine - many people have serious adverse reactions to it (personally I can't take it, gives me hallucinations and nausea, as it does with many people).

Check with your GP, first, PLEASE, before trying anything new.

jammiecat Wed 12-Mar-14 11:35:51

I suffer from migraines and had some in first trimester (thankfully not as severe as normal and disappeared at 12 weeks) but I found taking paracetemol with a can/glass of coke helped as the caffeine aids absorption. There has been research to show caffeine helps your body absorb paracetemol so definitely worth trying and the levels of caffeine are well within the recommended limits when pregnant.

Tea1Sugar Wed 12-Mar-14 13:40:44

4head and paracetamol smile x

firstbaby01 Wed 12-Mar-14 15:46:21

Thanks smile i have some 4 head and cocodamol. The cocodamol said do not take if you are pregnant so it's still in the box but the 4 head seems to be working smile

MrsM2013 Wed 12-Mar-14 16:27:22

Can't you phone your GP surgery to ask for advice? Codeine is safe in pregnancy (have been prescribed 3x the strength as is in co codamol for back pain) but they may be able to reassure you over the phone. I love the stuff smile

Wednesbury Thu 13-Mar-14 13:26:59

I know this was yesterday but I just wanted to second the recommendation for caffeine. I suffer occasional migraines, and got them for a run of weeks in both my pregnancies. For me, caffeine + paracetamol is what works. Paracetamol alone doesn't. I buy paracetamol plus (ie paracetamol tablets with added caffeine) and take two of those as soon as I get the headache, either that or normal paracetamol and a very strong coffee. One dose is still under the 200mg I think. I do the same for migraines when not pregnant and it works very well for me providing I catch the headache early enough. It was taught to me by my dad who did this when I was a child to help his migraines but I think there is substantial evidence now that it does work.

eurochick Thu 13-Mar-14 13:29:06

I've had a pretty constant headache for weeks now. Not severe but just "there" all the bloody time. I had acupuncture on Monday and have had no headaches at all since. I have no idea if it was coicidence, but it's just lovely to be headache free!

firstbaby01 Thu 13-Mar-14 17:29:56

Thanks I never would have thought about caffeine. I did finally manage to get an appointment today and they prescribed cocodamol and said it's safe to use smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now