Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

28 week appointment - what to expect

(14 Posts)
moomin35 Tue 11-Mar-14 16:43:18

Does anyone know what I can expect at the 28 week midwife appointment?

chattychattyboomba Tue 11-Mar-14 16:48:48

Glucose test unless scheduled otherwise, prod of belly to see babies position and fundal measurement, Doppler, urine test, blood pressure and a quick discussion as to where your next appointment will be (MLU or normal team). Also opportunity to ask questions. Just had mine last week. Unless you have a complicated pregnancy then it might be different.

Nades84 Tue 11-Mar-14 22:17:32

I had all the above at mine ( apart from GTT, that was at 26 weeks instead) plus bloods to check iron count etc x

chattychattyboomba Tue 11-Mar-14 22:50:44

Oh they did my iron levels at same time as glucose test. Thank goodness! Hate needles

Writerwannabe83 Wed 12-Mar-14 07:56:12

It was no different to all my other appointments - urine, BP, bloods and a general chat.

moomin35 Wed 12-Mar-14 11:49:27

Thanks all, I just had it and can confirm she measured my bump, took blood (for iron levels i think), took urine sample (She said theres never a gestational diabetes check she would only do one i there was any protein in my urine which there wasnt). She listened to the heartbeat (doppler). She gave me some leaflets but she really seems to give me only limited information and its me asking all the questions - if i didnt come on this site i wouldnt know even half of what I ask about!

moomin35 Wed 12-Mar-14 11:50:20

Writeerwannabe83 - yep that's what Ive just found too, thanks. I keep thinking Im going to have loads of info thrown at me but it all seems very limited!

chattychattyboomba Wed 12-Mar-14 15:13:16

How strange. Glucose test is standard practice here as I have had it in both my pregnancies... At 2 separate hospitals. And I am not high risk or showing any signs of protein etc. must be different where you live. You're not missing out on much. They make you drink lucozade bleugh!

HelenHen Wed 12-Mar-14 15:24:29

I never had a glucose Test either in either of my pregnancies. Also asked mw at 28 week about testing for diabetes and she also said they only Test if you're high risk!

LastOneDancing Wed 12-Mar-14 15:24:37

They don't do GTT as standard here either Chatty. Only if there's a problem.

I guess it's cost saving...

chattychattyboomba Wed 12-Mar-14 15:44:33

Interesting. My friend said she had it because she is Indian background (higher risk) she was at a different hospital. but I am Caucasian, young, slim and no family history of diabetes. I guess my hospitals gets better funding than I realised! Reassuring.

chattychattyboomba Wed 12-Mar-14 16:31:29

Interesting. My friend said she had it because she is Indian background (higher risk) she was at a different hospital. but I am Caucasian, young, slim and no family history of diabetes. I guess my hospitals gets better funding than I realised! Reassuring.

Banana82 Wed 12-Mar-14 16:36:21

Sorry to hijack the conversation....

I have my 28 week appointment in a couple of weeks with my community midwife who I see at my GP's surgery. I asked her about my 28 week blood test and Anti D injection and she said I would receive a letter from the hospital with regards to this with an appointment to go there separately from seeing my midwife. Does this sound right? I would have thought it would all be in the one appointment.

chattychattyboomba Wed 12-Mar-14 23:35:57

Banana- I would expect so. Have you been to visit the hospital yet? Perhaps that's the set up, 3rd trimester some of your antenatal appointments move to hospital? I can't say for sure as I have had all of my appointments in the one place both times, but I have heard of other mums being sent to different clinics at different stages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now