Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

essentials. ...

(20 Posts)
sofpp83 Tue 11-Mar-14 13:53:11

Hi guys, I'm 32+4 with my first dd and am doing some last minute shopping. Is there anything you could not have done without after birth? How many bottles, nappies, muslins, sleep suits, body suits should I have in stock? I am planning on breast feeding and currently have 4 bottles? Do I need more just in case? Also essentials for the hospital bag? I am definitely going to be in hospital for a day after birth (haven't even started on birthing plan yet) I just want to be prepared. Any advice would be greatly received smile smile

spammytrollface Tue 11-Mar-14 14:02:29

amazon and all the shops will still be opengrin
nappies vests babygrows and a moses basket or cot plus sheets and blankets and a way to feed the baby are the only essentials.

do your birth plan first its more importantsmile

sofpp83 Tue 11-Mar-14 14:17:28

Thanks spammy, I'm a bit of a control freak! I have mostly everything and unfortunately I don't know what type of birth I'm going to have as I've got gd which is still in the prices of being controlled, anaemia, and recently hypertension. Full term isn't looking promising. I feel better knowing that I have the basics though! Thank you wink

Pregnantagain7 Tue 11-Mar-14 15:38:25

Strictly speaking not an essential but something i found really useful was something maxi cosi do, it's like a sleeping bag that fits inside their car seat so you don't have to struggle getting a newborn into coats or snowsuits. It zips right up under their chin and has a drawstring hood genius idea only discovered it with my third wish Id had it with the other two who both screamed when ever I put them in a coat! Am still using it now and he is six months and a very large babysmile

I also had gb with my second had an induction at 38 weeks it was brilliant don't let anyone scare you with horror story's induction( if that's they way you go) can be really positive good lucksmile

Pregnantagain7 Tue 11-Mar-14 15:39:44

Dur! Gd not gb! Pregnancy brain sorry!

yangsun Tue 11-Mar-14 15:47:44

I'd say 12 vests and 12 babygros and something to wear outside. Nappies, cotton wool, changing mat and somewhere to sleep. You don't need any bottles if you breastfeed but four is more than enough "just in case" I also had two cartons of ready prepared formula to go in the just in case bottle - I didn't need them but it made me feel less stressed to know I had an alternative if I struggled and I actually think that made the breastfeeding easier! You will also need at least four packets of maternity pads - you'll probably need more but that will get you through the first couple of weeks.

Congratulations and don't stress as someone else said, the shops will still be open and you will probably be given hundreds of everything as gifts when dc arrives

sofpp83 Tue 11-Mar-14 16:31:05

Thank you pregnantagain7. I have heard many horror stories about induction. More good than bad! I fell totally out of control of anything at the minute and the high blood pressure is now stressing me out! my BP has been really good all the way through and previous to pregnancy but it seems when I hit 28 weeks everything started going down hill! If it gets much higher I'll be admitted for monitoring. I hope it isn't the start of something serious. I will have a look for the item you suggested and Thank you smile

sofpp83 Tue 11-Mar-14 16:34:25

Thank you yangsun, I too have some of the ready formula milk packed just incase breast feeding doesn't work. I seem to have every thing else you suggested ready and waiting. I worry I don't have enough of everything and also the correct sizes. New born sizes still look big and I've read that allot of expectant mothers buy smaller size clothes just in case.

NickyEds Tue 11-Mar-14 17:38:15

Don't bother with smaller sizes!! My DS was born a bit smaller than we expected(6lb5oz) and I immediately sent OH out to but a load of newborn/small baby stuff as most of what we had was 0-3 months- a week or so later he stretched out and they didn't fit- what holds a lot holds a little, just roll sleeves up! I agree with yangsun 10-12 vests and sleepsuits, a coat, blankets etc are all you really need. You just can not have enough muslins though.

MyNameIsKenAdams Tue 11-Mar-14 17:41:14

I ff'd and managed with four bottles. I had a microwave steriliser.

I had to send dh out for sleepsuits as Newborn was too big (dd was 6lb 11).

Im pg again and will buy a three pack of tiny baby sleepsuits and same in bodysuits just incase.

theborrower Tue 11-Mar-14 19:51:20

Lots of maternity pads :-)

I had an EMCS and baby couldn't latch, but had planned to BF, so at the very least I'd make sure you have a bottle of sterilising fluid and a carton of instant formula in the cupboard, just in case, to get you through first night home. pack of cheap granny high waisted knickers too, in case of a CS (won't rub on scar), but I imagine they'd be super comfy if you have a vb too. Better than disposable knickers too.

I also wouldn't go mad with the sleep suits etc - we had to send my mum to mothercare for tiny baby stuff as e'thing we had was enormous.

Other than that, yep, Amazon or sending someone to the shops the day after you're home will be fine.

Hope everything goes well!

ikeaismylocal Tue 11-Mar-14 20:00:37

I really loved my moby wrap sling.

Sleepsuits are hard to predict, if the baby is pukey (like ds was) you will need tons of sleepsuits, but a non pukey baby you won't need that many sleepsuits.

Ds was 10 pounds and newborn clothes fitted him for a week or 2, I would imagine a baby 8 pounds or less would be too small for newborn clothes.

Numero3 Tue 11-Mar-14 20:12:09

Breast pads for leaky boobs - I've found the Johnson's ones the best.

Lanisoh cream - helps with sore nipples.

Biscuits!! To nibble in hospital and when you're home. I took some Lucozade sports drinks for energy boosting too.

Good luck and enjoy the loveliest (not a real word but true) time with your new baby smile

purplebaubles Tue 11-Mar-14 20:15:30

Newborn is pretty big imo. 0-3 months is massive!

DD was 6lb, and was in tiny baby size for ages. I had to send my mum out to get different vests/babygros and nappies, as everything I'd bought was for newborn and was huge.

SweetPeaPods Tue 11-Mar-14 20:20:05

Just a few things that helped me in first week
Paracetamol
Lanisoh breast pads & nipple cream
Maternity pads you will need more than you think
Lots of big black pants for you so you don't need to do more washing than necessary
Lots of pjs or nighties for you.
The only think I needed more of was muslins
Some size 1 nappies, cotton wool or wipes
Maybe 12 vests/bodysuits, 12 sleepsuits. 0-1 month did us well think that's up to 10lb.
Lots of drinks and snacks for you. My parents brought round loads of bottles of water, cans of juice, j20s etc as seemed easier to just grab a bottle of water before I sat down to bf and I didn't have to worry about spills.
Couple of cellular blankets

ithoughtofitfirst Tue 11-Mar-14 20:34:20

Baby/face wipes. Hospitals are warm and stuffy and gross. Makes you feel semi decent after 2 hours sleep.

Pj bottoms you don't care if you need throw away. Bled like a mofo. Think about the heaviest period you've ever had and times it by a million.

Pads, pads and more pads. Had to send my hubby out for some and he bought me panty liners. I cried.

SweetPeaPods Tue 11-Mar-14 20:35:16

Forgot to add dry shampoo!
Second the face wipes too. I bought some travel sized shampoo, face wipes, dry shampoo for the hospital.
Lip salve and hand cream handy too.

weebigmamma Wed 12-Mar-14 03:47:51

I second the thing about all inductions not being bad. I had high BP last time (and I have it this time) and was induced the last time and it was fine. Labour and delivery over in 8 hours and it actually seemed to go quicker than that at the time. You might want to discuss pain relief options in case of an induction with someone though because it can make the birth go quicker and I didn't have time for an epidural and it wasn't really a good time to start discussing other options either lol. As for packing, I didn't bring half the stuff I needed but the hospital was great and lent me stuff that I needed (including a baby blanket!) and husband brought things up the next day too when I realised what I needed.

TarkaTheOtter Wed 12-Mar-14 04:09:07

I was induced at 38 weeks because of gd in both my pregnancies. Both times it was fine (although first was better because I had enough time for epidural).
You'll probably be kept in for 24hrs postnatally in order to check baby's bs levels are ok so there'll be plenty of time for dh to go to tescos and fetch anything you have forgotten/different size clothes.
Both mine were around 7lbs when born and spent the first month in newborn size.

sofpp83 Wed 12-Mar-14 19:27:55

Thanks for all the comments guys. I think I'll go for a pack of small baby size just incase. It's difficult to know at this stage. Sounds like the general consensus is I should buy more muslins too! Must remember the paracetamol and snacks in my hospital bag. I've stocked up on big granny pants smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now