Talk

Advanced search

What do I NEED for this baby?

(7 Posts)
KiwiBanana Tue 11-Mar-14 11:30:36

We're so skint at the moment but baby number 2 is due in 2 and a half months. Trying to think of what I absolutely can't do without so we can get those bits first.
We've still got old cot from DS, a jumperoo, quite a few clothes, blankets, Moses basket and pushchair.

Can anyone help me think of what else we really need, not just things that are nice? Even small stuff like muslin blankets, do I really need them?

rockin20s Tue 11-Mar-14 11:41:43

a newborn wont need much more then you already have.

Milk - breastfeeding will save money,
nappys - Lidl and Aldi nappy's have a good reputation and are cheap.
i would by a few muslin cloths to clean up sick but you could use a few old t-shirts too!

thats it really, everything else are wants not needs!!

Alice2014 Tue 11-Mar-14 11:44:26

It sounds to me like your well prepared - what about a car seat, pram and bottles?

We've bought a lot from NCT nearly new sales, and local nearly new baby sales. It's amazing what you can pick up and the savings you can make on items that you can happily wash knowing that they are clean and safe. Unfortunately the only things I wouldn't buy are the above items. Best of luck.

thereisnoeleventeen Tue 11-Mar-14 16:01:21

Sounds like you have most stuff, have you looked on Freecycle for your area? I found (and gave away) a few sacks of baby clothes on there when DC2 was a baby.

I would save some cash for things that you will need, new feeding bra, huge pants for your hospital bag, lansinoh cream etc.

PenguinsEatSpinach Tue 11-Mar-14 16:07:10

You sound like you have most things.

Feeding - so either bottles, formula etc or feeding bra if you haven't kept one/didn't have one.

Nappies.

A few muslins probably handy.

Car seat if you drive?

Stuff for you for the birth - pants, maternity pads, etc.

smearedinfood Tue 11-Mar-14 16:08:23

I was having the same thoughts myself as I am expecting number 2. And i want to stem the costs over a couple of months.

So far I've thought of more drawers for a second set of clothes, Muslins and Maternity pads.

I'm looking at scratch mits as I seem to have lost all of my old ones.

ShadowFall Tue 11-Mar-14 16:10:10

Sounds like you have most of the essentials already, assuming pushchair lies flat.

Car seat? Obviously nappies too.

And how are you planning on feeding the baby? If formula, you'll need bottles & sterilising equipment. You may be able to get away without buying anything in advance other than a few breastpads if you're planning on breastfeeding (assuming you've got suitable clothes for that).

I think most other things you could wait and see if you need them - i.e. muslin cloths are only really necessary if you have a baby that possets a lot. We've also used towels and T-shirts when we've not had muslin cloths to hand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now