Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Private medical insurance - which ones cover pregnancy?

(6 Posts)
misstiggiwinkle Tue 11-Mar-14 10:36:38

I've just found out that I'm pregnant and considering going down the private route. I am covered by Axa BPP healthcare with work although I imagine they don't cover private care during pregnancy. I don't really want to call and ask in case it alerts them.

I was wondering if there are any plans out there that definitely cover you?

greentshirt Tue 11-Mar-14 10:43:13

In the main I dont think any do. You are able to pay privately but I think you can only be covered under insurance with an international policy, so for example an american working in the uk etc.

eurochick Tue 11-Mar-14 10:44:28

Yes, it's only usually the international policies that cover pregnancy and birth. You can still pay for private care though, but it is quite expensive.

KatoPotato Tue 11-Mar-14 10:47:15

It will not be covered by PMI as pregnancy is viewed as a choice, rather than a medical condition IYSWIM

FrumiousBandersnatch Tue 11-Mar-14 10:50:04

UK-based policies don't cover you for antenatal care or childbirth. Worth checking your policy though as you may be covered for other pregnancy-related conditions - for example to see a physio privately if you have PGP.

CrispyFB Tue 11-Mar-14 11:33:28

Most things related to pregnancy are not covered. However, if you have an unforeseen complication you may well be. Things like ectopic, missed miscarriage - you can get your ERPC privately (have done this) but hopefully it won't happen! A breech baby can get you a private ELCS. Or should I say a token contribution towards one..!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now