Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Finally a BFP!...but now what?

(7 Posts)
misstiggiwinkle Tue 11-Mar-14 10:16:31

So after months of trying and finally getting my BFP im wondering what should my next steps be? I used the NHS due date calculator which says I'm 4 weeks (aghhhhhh!) but I'm just not entirely sure what do do next.

I am going abroad next Thursday for a week, should I definitely be seeing my gp before I go or can it wait?

Do I now stop taking my conception vitamins and just keep taking the folic acid?

What foods should I be avoiding? So much conflicting advice on the Internet.

Should I tell work before I'm 12 weeks? I work for a large investment bank and my job is demanding stress wise.

So many questions! Help!

SeaSaltMill Tue 11-Mar-14 10:19:33

Check the conception vits, if they have vitamin A in them you shouldn't take them. I take pregnacare but you can just take folic acid.

Don't eat any meat that isn't cooked all the way through, blue cheese or unpasteurised cheese, raw shellfish or anything that could give you a dicky belly. Do not eat any form of Pate.

Tell work when you feel ready, you may find you have no symptoms at all and can function perfectly well until 12 weeks. Also, sadly, there is a chance that things may not work out, so its your call.

RE the GP, its up to you.

Congratulations!!!!

SandwichBag Tue 11-Mar-14 10:23:49

Congratulations!

The answer to most of your questions is, it's up to you really. The earlier you see your doctor the more time they have to get things organised for you. Nothing really happens when you see your doctor other than they book you in to the Midwives (mine was very good though and did a mini-booking in session like the Midwives do).

I saw my doctor at 6 weeks, then midwife when I was 8 weeks and then had a private scan. I then had my 12 weeks scan and have my 15 week midwife appointment today.

Regarding your vitamins, it's up to you. As long as you get the Folic Acid, everything else is a bonus. I'd stopped taking my conception vitamins a month before bfp so just went out and brought pregnacare ones when I knew I was pregnant.

I also work for a large Bank in the City. I waited until 2 days before my 12 week scan to tell my boss. But again it's up to you. They won't actually start the HR process until you give them your MatB1 form after your 20 week scan. Hopefully your colleagues will be as happy and supportive of you as mine have been, although I have been very lucky and had no sickness or real tiredness so it hasn't effected my work at all yet.

One thing my doctor did tell me which is relevant for you as you are going on holiday, is not to jump into water! Climb in slowly! also no saunas, jacuzzis or steam rooms apparently.

misstiggiwinkle Tue 11-Mar-14 10:31:44

Thank you! I've spent so long reading up about how to actually get a BFP, now it's here I feel a bit lost!

In terms of the gp booking in midwife appointments, do you need to have decided on a hospital before that? I live in west London where I imagine there would be a choice but I don't really know anything about any of our local hospitals. Do you also have to decide now whether you plan to go private or not?

NotWithoutMyMerkin Tue 11-Mar-14 10:42:08

No need to make decisions about hospital or private care. Your midwife will (at your booking appointment) book you into the care of your community midwife team for appointments throughout your pregnancy. If at any point you decide to go private you would inform these midwives. Later in your pregnancy your midwives will discuss with you your options for where you want to give birth and help you decide

I would use the NHS website for clear guidelines on what you should/shouldn't be eating. I would also recommend (as will your midwives I expect) swapping your conception vits for pregnancy vits such as pregnancare. Folic acid is important but it is also important to ensure all of your vitamin levels are good and these will help (especially of you get morning sickness)

SandwichBag Tue 11-Mar-14 10:53:16

I had no idea I would even have a choice when I saw my Doctor. She told me the 2 choices and we had a chat about it then I decided. When I saw the Midwife I then had 3 choices as I am low risk. They were: home birth, Midwife Led Unit or hospital. I chose to stick with the hospital I had pickes as it is very new, got fantastic feedback on here and other websites and closer than the MLU. I know 100% i do not want a home borth. Hope that helps

Plateofcrumbs Tue 11-Mar-14 14:19:01

Congratulations!

Check NHS website on foods to avoid. Supplements wise as already mentioned as long as you are supplementing folic acid and not supplementing Vit A you are fine.

You may not need to see GP - basically you just need a referral to midwife - in some places you can self-refer. Give your GPs practice a call and ask if they need to see you. Either way it won't really matter much if you can't do it until you're back from your week away - unless you've got any complicating health issues the GP won't do much, it just sets the wheels in motion for getting your first midwife appointments, scan etc booked. When I saw GP I think he just checked my blood pressure, checked I wasn't smoking/drinking, and was talking folic acid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now