Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

NCT Refresher classes

(8 Posts)
MrsWombat Tue 11-Mar-14 07:05:03

Has anyone done one of these?

It's going to be 6 years between DS and the new baby so I think it will be very helpful to get a reminder. Especially with breastfeeding. I'm going to need all the help I can get with that!

Paintyfingers Tue 11-Mar-14 07:07:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BellsaRinging Tue 11-Mar-14 07:12:02

I went to one which was a day long (weekend) with an evening session on breastfeeding-is this the one you mean? It was aimed at people who already had children, and most people had one of 5-6, a couple with younger ones. DS was 6 when I went.
I found it really helpful, though I think that these things do depend a lot on the session 'leader'. There was a concentration on the practical issues at the birth-things like pain relief, types of birth, VBAC, etc-and less on stuff like looking after the baby when it arrives.
All in all it was a good 'top-up' and we went to a pub for lunch (that may have been the best bit!).
Congratulations and good luck! I was worried about the age gap with mine, but ds adores his brother and it worked out really well.

MrsWombat Tue 11-Mar-14 08:20:28

Thank you!

It's three sessions, women only, in the evening, the last session is on breastfeeding. The VBAC info will be very useful as well.

Paintyfingers Tue 11-Mar-14 08:28:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tiger66 Wed 12-Mar-14 21:17:00

Mrs Wombat, my dc will be 7 and 5 when dc3 appears so I have been thinking of doing the same. As much as anything I am hoping to find some new friends to hang out with with new baby. My nct group with the first were brilliant but they are all busy lives now and well out of the baby phase.

MummytoMog Thu 13-Mar-14 10:45:19

I couldn't find one when I had DC2 (did hypnobirthing with DC1 and it wasn't terrible 'practical') so did a normal course, and actually it was really useful for reminding me about the stages of labour, pain relief methods etc. But it was awkward afterwards because all the other mums were VERY PFB, and seemed to really resent my DC1 being around, even though she was only 18 months old. We don't see them now.

Tea1Sugar Thu 13-Mar-14 10:48:56

I'm doing one now! Had 3 of 4 sessions so far. It's been great, there's only 4 couples and all got a first child between 2-3.5 and all due within 4 weeks of each other. I'm really enjoying it. Had 1 couples class and the other 3 are women only.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now