Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

nipple stimulation

(14 Posts)
MummyLuce Mon 10-Mar-14 20:33:13

so Im nearly at my due date and about 45 mins ago I was trying out some nipple stimulation(for about 15 mins) and I got really intense contractions, like BHs, but with lots more period pain. Basically like the first labour contractions. They are still happening now. Has anyone else experienced this? Does it actually start labour or does it only produce contractions for a short time?

CherryPie3 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:54:01

My waters broke 3 hours after nipple stimulation smile

Writerwannabe83 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:54:49

What's nipple stimulation??
Do you just twiddle them???

ToriaPumpkin Mon 10-Mar-14 21:42:44

My mum was a midwife for 34 years and swears it works, I've also had a couple of friends who went into labour after expressing colostrum so I'd say there's something in it!

Good luck smile

sarahwho Mon 10-Mar-14 21:54:53

I was 3 days over due with ds and decided to give nipple stimulation a go, after about 10/15 minutes I got a few cramps stood up and my waters broke obviously it could just of been a coincidence who knows.

MummyLuce Mon 10-Mar-14 22:34:11

Ah okay thanks! Still getting tightenings but not as painful. Might keep on with it!
Yep writerwannabe, you just twiddle them continuously. That's what I did anyway x

Meerka Tue 11-Mar-14 11:07:17

Nipple stimulation is supposed to be one of the very few effective ways of beginning labour

Source: Cochrane Database of Systemic Reviews, "breast Stimulatoin for Cervical Ripening and Induction of Labour", by Kavanagh, Kelly and Thomas. The Cochrane Review's well respected in the medical world.

Sex, walking lots and the other methods seem to be pretty ineffective in practise, apparently.

But you have to stimulate your nipples a -lot- apparently, at least an hour a day for 3 days minimum, and maybe even longer each day. Using a breast pump might help a bit though.

Meerka Tue 11-Mar-14 11:07:39

effective at home* ways of starting labour, sorry!

Raxacoricofallapatorius Tue 11-Mar-14 11:14:57

From the study quoted above: "Breast stimulation cannot be fully evaluated on efficacy and safety grounds from the included studies. Whilst it would appear beneficial in terms of a reduction in the number of women not in labour after 72 hours, and a reduction in postpartum haemorrhage, until safety issues have been fully evaluated it should not be considered for use in a high risk population". The study also stated that it only seemed to have an effect in a woman whose cervix was already favourable. An unfavourable cervix and it achieved nothing.

The obstetric consultant I was under agreed. He said it seemed to be a good method of encouraging labour once it's already underway but it isn't really possible to say it's in any way linked to induction of labour. He said that obviously, the only women it worked on were those on the cusp of labour anyway and for that reason, you couldn't rule out (and studies couldn't rule out) coincidence.

Mummyk1982 Tue 11-Mar-14 12:12:37

Having seen this post last night I gave it a go this morning- did it for 10 mins and then 25 mins a couple of hours later. I have now discovered that I'm producing colostrum!- hubby was fascinated!!! Hahaha! I think I may have got some tightenings the second time round but nothing uncomfortable. Not sure if I'll continue with it routinely unless I go overdue.
I've got reflexology booked for tomorrow- really looking forward to that!

Paintyfingers Tue 11-Mar-14 12:15:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Seff Tue 11-Mar-14 12:58:49

I have a 3 year old who still breastfeeds before bed - why does this not work for me?!

Seff Tue 11-Mar-14 12:59:05

Due date on Wednesday btw!

Meerka Tue 11-Mar-14 13:06:26

oh right, fair enough raxa, so it's not as good as I heard ... well I suppose it can help in some limited circumstances, but not a good idea if you're high risk.

good luck seff and mummyluce!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now