Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Overweight and pregnant - tell me about it please.

(26 Posts)
Sparkle9 Mon 10-Mar-14 19:59:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sparkle9 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:00:15

CherryPie3 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:07:45

I was a size 22 (about 17/18stone at a guess) when I had my last baby in 2010, I had high blood pressure (but not high enough to be a cause for concern), I also had spd/pgp which was very painful / but I had this with my second baby in 2006 when I was much smaller.

Perfectly safe deliveries. With my first my waters broke at 35wks. 10am, ctx started at 10pm and she was born at 03:24 that night/next morning.

With ds1 my ctx started at 39+6 early hours (4am) and he was born at 13:54 same day.

Ds2 waters broke at 36+0 at 11pm, he was born at 08:11 next morning.

Have a healthy pregnancy, you're a great size to handle it smile

CherryPie3 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:09:31

I should probably add actually.
With my first pregnancy I was a size 16, with my second I was an 18. I got bigger with each pregnancy because I didn't eat healthy - huge regret! Currently ttc #4 and doing something about my weight also!

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Mon 10-Mar-14 20:10:16

Your BMI during pregnancy is irrelevant. It is your pre-pregnancy weight that matters.

As a woman who was 2-3 stone over her ideal weight at the start of each pregnancy, and put on 2-2.5 stone during pregnancy, I can assure you that I had normal, healthy pregnancies, normal uncomplicated births, and normal healthy babies.

I was only ever weighed at my booking-in appointments. The only discussions to do with weight were to emphasise that i should not diet during pregnancy, a projected weight-gain of 2st was appropriate, and that i should try to ensure that weught gain by ealthy eating. it was also pointed out that my BMI was - just! - under the cutoff for using the birthing pool.

HTH

SweetPea86 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:10:55

I'm 5ft 2 and was 12.7 when I fell preg class as obese.

All my bloods are fine, I had a diabetes tests came bk fine. My blood pressure is spot on.

Only probs I have are sickness and spd but I have slim friends who have had these.

I don't smoke or drink even before preg. I'm fat but I eat home cooked good food I'm just a greedy bugger who eats too much, as long as you look after your self and try not to gain loads of weight you will be fine. I've got a few slim friends who drank, smoked and ate crap all way through pregnancy, I disagree that it's always overweight or obese people who are the unhealthy ones, ( although being overweight and obese isn't good I know this)

I do worry about my weight and once had baby want to get in a healthy BMi before I have another baby but as long as you eat right and keep active all should be good.

jaykay987 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:17:31

I'm 24w and before my bfp I had a bmi >40.

By the time I had my booking in at 8 weeks I'd put on a stone! But since then, including Christmas, Ive actually lost 13lbs, so down 3lbs since my bfp.

This is my first - so not a huge amount of info. MW gave me lots of "obese and pregnant" booklets at booking in, but it's not been mentioned since.

Im logged as high risk, so am consultant driven, but I've only had one appointment so far and the next is booked in for 34w.

I can't give birth at home or in mlu. Other than that - I'm coping fine.

I thought I might not get a bump for ages - but had to tell work at 16w before they guessed and now my bump has taken over!

I'll have to have the gtt at 28w but other than that don't think my weight has changed anything.

jaykay987 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:18:00

oh and if it helps I'm 5ft.

FirsttimerG Mon 10-Mar-14 20:19:43

I am 5ft8 and weighed 88.6kg at my booking appt 7 weeks) and now weigh 90.5kg at 9 weeks 3 days.
I voiced my concern at my booking appt (I was only 75kg in jan 2013 but had a serious eye problem last year that stopped me for 4 months and major weight gain!!)
Anyway she said to just try to eat healthy and just not diet,
I've had no morning sickness but been really hungry.
Worst case, we can always diet after the baby is born so try not to worry xxx

ikeaismylocal Mon 10-Mar-14 20:20:49

I was overweight when I got pregnant last time and my pregnancy was fine, I had very mild high blood preasure from 38 weeks but it was less high than my mother and grandmother who were both very slim (high blood preasure has a genetic link)

The only problem I had in the birth was that ironically my bum muscles were too strong, I walked for miles and miles everyday. I had to have a very undignified bum massage to allow the baby to come down the birth cannal but that was because I was too strang rather than too fat.

Ds was born after 2 pushes.

I am pregnant again and a similar weight to last time, I lost 10kg in the 2 months before my bfp and I intended to loose another 10kg but my BFP took me a little by supprise!

FirsttimerG Mon 10-Mar-14 20:21:19

Oh yeah I also have to have gtt but midwife didn't believe my weight looking at me. I took that as a sort of compliment ;) xxx

HannahG315 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:24:25

Speak to a doctor. You sound fine IMO! But I'm no expert. I'm a believer in being body confident but healthy!

You sound like focusing on a healthy weight and not an 'ideal' weight which is sensible, so I'd strongly recommended speaking to your GP and they can help smile

HannahG315 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:24:43

Speak to a doctor. You sound fine IMO! But I'm no expert. I'm a believer in being body confident but healthy!

You sound like focusing on a healthy weight and not an 'ideal' weight which is sensible, so I'd strongly recommended speaking to your GP and they can help smile

Sparkle9 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:34:55

Boogles91 Mon 10-Mar-14 22:39:38

Im 5"3 and niw a 12-14. personally i think its a load of bollox that ur classed as overweight. I used to see a health profession and according to thei weight and height charts, for my height i should be 8stone! -.- even she said no thats wrong as youd basically be a stikingsect! So i wouldnt worry too much chuck. Before i was pregnant i was 10-12 and weight 9n alf stne, i have more muscle mass than fat though i dont look it, everyone always kept telling me how tiny i am. But i must have heavy bones as i no im heavy lol dw and ignire anybidy who tells you different x

Sammi1986 Mon 10-Mar-14 23:37:11

I have a BMI of 42, aside from bad SPD which can unfortunately happen to anyone, on paper I am very healthy! Blood pressure is perfect, iron levels excellent and no complications (touch wood!) The only issue iv had is during ultrasounds I have had "reduced visibility" on my notes due to my extra padding
33+4

BananaHammocks Tue 11-Mar-14 06:57:43

I'm 5'3 and was 13st 3lbs at my booking in appointment (now 30 weeks).

I think things vary based on where in the country you are (I'm in Kent) but my midwife told me I had to take a higher dose of folic acid but that's it really. I have been ill at all, I've had no spotting, the midwife told me I would be able to use the midwife led unit/birthing pool, I didn't have to have the GTT, my blood pressure is fine, iron levels fine and I've put on 1 stone so far.

Oh but like Sammi1986 the scan notes said there was reduced visibility, cringe!! They said nothing during the scan though and managed to do all the checks.

Sparkle9 Tue 11-Mar-14 08:00:19

ToriaPumpkin Tue 11-Mar-14 08:58:36

I'm 32 weeks with my second.

My BMI at conception was 37 with my first and 35 this time. I lost weight until 20 weeks both times (not intentionally)

I've only been weighed once, I've had clear GTTs, all my tests have been normal, BP is slightly low. I've got PGP but that can happen to anyone.

I've also been told there's no reason I can't use the birthing pool if I want to and we don't have an MLU so that's not an issue, though with my last pregnancy I only met my consultant once and this time it will be twice to follow up a growth scan as I grow them big!

As for holding weight round your middle, so do I. I found it all shifted so I looked a bit weird for a while, like I had a bump on top of my bump under my boobs IYSWIM? But that happened to my best friend who is very slim as well! Don't worry too much, it will redistribute smile

bluebelle2662 Tue 11-Mar-14 14:20:19

I'm 5ft tall and a size 16, weighing about 89kg. This pushes my BMI right up and has meant that I am under the care of a consultant. Otherwise very little to be concerned about. I get extra growth scans and things, but that's about it.

My blood pressure and sugar are absolutely fine, but I will be having a GTT.

Sparkle9 Wed 12-Mar-14 19:15:24

HerGraciousMajTheBeardedPotato Wed 12-Mar-14 22:07:39

Good that you're reassured smile

Enjoy your pregnancy.

30SecondsToVenus Wed 12-Mar-14 22:13:26

I was 15 stone during my first pregnancy, I'm 5'8 and I was a size 16 then. Nothing much was mentioned.

Second pregnancy, I weighed 17st 9lb when I was weighed at 16 weeks. I was a size 20. I was considered high risk and had an extra scan but I had absolutely no problems at all throughout my pregnancy or labour both times.

qazxc Wed 12-Mar-14 22:21:45

I'm an apple shape and carry most weight on my tummy too. On the plus side, even though I am 25 weeks i can wear my normal tops. Only needed a couple of maternity jeans. If your bump develops like mine did it will just change your tummy from wibbly into a definite bump shape.

weebigmamma Thu 13-Mar-14 00:05:04

I started this pregnancy at about 16.5 stone. I'm now almost at the end. I am on meds for high blood pressure and I've just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes (although to be fair lots of mums at the GD clinic are not overweight and my readings are only slightly raised so I'm not blaming my BMI for that). To be honest this pregnancy has gone OK really. I wanted to be lighter before I got pregnant as well but I wasn't and that was that. A friend of mine who had several miscarriages and then got pregnant again asked her doctor if her weight was to blame. He told her that getting pregnant can be difficult if you're overweight but that once you are pregnant being overweight won't cause miscarriage (and she did indeed go on to have a perfect little girl. She herself had no probs during that pregnancy). Good luck to you! I would have been delighted to have had your BMI at the start of my pregnancy (or even at any time during the last 9 years! lol. I will work on it after this one....) I hope all goes swimmingly for you. Don't let people scare you- pregnancy can do such random things to the body, even if you're the perfect weight, but most pregnancies go absolutely fine. xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now