Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Shall I get a wax before labour?

(52 Posts)
HannahG315 Mon 10-Mar-14 18:24:27

This might make me sound like a minger...

I'm 40 weeks and haven't bothered 'personal grooming' (legs or intimate) for a month... I lie it's been two sad

I bought the wax strips but I just CBA... Do you think hospital staff will judge me??

PenguinsEatSpinach Mon 10-Mar-14 18:26:56

If you want to wax, wax. But don't make your decision based on what a stranger thinks of your pubes. it should be a personal decision.

And any health professional who is a professional would not let daft personal prejudice affect their view of you.

MrsCakesPremonition Mon 10-Mar-14 18:33:32

The staff won't judge you. It might hurt a bit more than usual. Can you see what you are doing to do it safely?

Ultimately it's up to you what you want to do.

fridayfreedom Mon 10-Mar-14 18:37:38

The staff will have seen all sorts of designs! They don't care as long as its clean!

Dinosaursareextinct Mon 10-Mar-14 18:37:43

The staff won't give a toss. They've seen it all many times before. And people in childbirth in terrible pain do disgusting things, so a few hairs is the least of it...

squizita Mon 10-Mar-14 18:43:07

I'm sure they've seen it all before and won't bat an eyelid either way!

Whatever makes YOU feel comfortable, go with (as with any time of life with personal grooming).

Lj8893 Mon 10-Mar-14 18:48:05

Umm no, the staff won't judge you.

Obviously if you feel you want to wax then do it ( but be aware your much more sensitive when pregnant) but if you Cba, then don't bother.

I had a little trim before labour (it was probably really wonky as I couldn't really see) but that was more for my comfort than anything else.

HannahG315 Mon 10-Mar-14 18:53:17

Thanks. I know I must seem silly!

VivaLeBeaver Mon 10-Mar-14 18:56:15

I'm a midwife.

Whenever a woman apologises to me for her legs or anywhere else been hairy I laugh and truthfully tell her that I haven't shaved in weeks months either.

To be honest it wouldn't register unless its pointed out to me. Don't notice, don't care.

greentshirt Mon 10-Mar-14 18:56:51

I'm getting one as usual, have carried on all the time I've been pregnant. I wouldn't do it myself though, I'd be there for weeks!

Hospital won't care, they've seen it all and worse before!

Lj8893 Mon 10-Mar-14 18:58:47

viva I'm shocked that women even think to apologise for the state of their fanjo hair.......I was far too busy screaming in pain!!!

Boogles91 Tue 11-Mar-14 00:03:46

Ive always shaved ma pubes off, i feel dirty if i dont nd carnt stand it >.< told my hubby when i cant see its his job hahahar smile not that he minds :p x

Sunnysummer Tue 11-Mar-14 00:08:02

The staff won't care, most women don't get lots of grooming by that stage! I was also told not to wax or shave in the final few weeks as it can increase the risk of infection after birth (that's why they no longer shave women before a natural labour).

HannahG315 Tue 11-Mar-14 06:48:46

Sunnysummer YAY a ligetmate excuse!

Boogie, I did actually have my OH help me wax before I got really big shockshock but now I can't see there at all I would be terrified!

Ive done my legs at the VERY least.

Off for a sweep, I will let you know if MW screams in horror blush

Xx

weebairn Tue 11-Mar-14 06:54:02

Pah. Pubic hair is not gross. If you like to remove it, fine, but it should be a choice, not because your own hair is "disgusting"! Lots of people (men and women) don't like the bald fanny look either. As long as you're clean it's all good! Also yes the staff will have seen everything anyway.

RhubarbCrumble1 Tue 11-Mar-14 08:35:36

I'm a midwife and promise you I don't even register hair or bare. As long as your comfortable that's fine.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 11-Mar-14 08:43:39

I'm 37+4 and I have continued to shave my legs although it has been difficult. I used to do all my shaving at the end of a lovely bath but that's too difficult now as my bump means I can't bend my legs to the angle I need them at to be able to shave.

I shaved them in the shower yesterday and it was much, much easier so they are now lovely and smooth.

In terms of bikini line I managed to keep that up (again, in the bath) until I was about 30 weeks pregnant but towards the end I was doing it blind. At my last attempt in the bath it was absolutely pointless, I had no idea what I was doing and the whole thing was such an effort that I gave up. I attempted a blind tidy-up in the shower yesterday which was probably about 50% successful. I didn't dare check in the mirror afterwards, if it looks stupid I'd rather not know smile

Every Midwife in the country could tell me they don't give a hoot about ;pubic hair or any other body hair but it wouldn't reassure me at all, lol - for my own piece of mind I need to know I'm as tidy and as smooth as possible grin

squizita Tue 11-Mar-14 08:43:56

I 1st bikini waxed as a teen... not a misspent youth... because I was in a swim/synchro club with very high cut cossies ... so to me it isn't associated with 'sexy', 'clean' or anything like that. Weirdly with hard exercise and the smell of chlorine (hospital birth??). Consequently I've never been fussed since bar keeping it neat and tidy and bikini lined.
I don't think birthing pools require it though. grin

MissBetseyTrotwood Tue 11-Mar-14 08:46:31

My friend had her bikini line done (full Brazilian) at 40w and went into labour about an hour afterwards. grin

ToriaPumpkin Tue 11-Mar-14 08:47:13

I was specifically told not to at my ante natal class because having the hair there aids healing. Not sure if there's any truth in that or not but it made me feel better about the fact I hadn't seen mine for several months let alone done anything to it grin

greentshirt Tue 11-Mar-14 08:54:20

Oh I see we are to that all or nothing theme again. When most people are talking about getting waxed they mean to neaten up the sides and underneath, not being completely bald. Why don't people understand that?'

PenguinsEatSpinach Tue 11-Mar-14 09:46:31

Hope the sweep went well and things kick off for you soon.

No need for an 'excuse' as to how you have your pubes. It's like hair on your head- however you want to wear it is fine and you're allowed to change styles you know wink

livenlet Tue 11-Mar-14 09:59:15

When your in labour you will not give a shit care what you look like or what people think dignity goes out the window. Good luck

HannahG315 Tue 11-Mar-14 12:57:12

Throughout the sweep I had the shoop shoop song in my head...

'In in the sweeeep, that's where it is, oh yeah it's in the sweeeep'

Pubic hair did not cross my mind.

Ahh the good old bald or neaten up story! I'm ashamed to admit I'd love to be comfortable with just a tidy, but I'm usually a completely bald fan. And why? Because I'm made to feel like this is the accepted version thanks to popular culture. I HATE myself for it, I don't even now why I'm self conscious about it, I've been with OH for 5 years and no-one else gets a gander, but I feel like a freak if I'm at all overgrown..

This is from someone who feels more at home in a pair of walking boots and only wears make up on special occasions.

Rant rant rant.

I WISH I wasn't so silly hmm

PenguinsEatSpinach Tue 11-Mar-14 13:27:39

Don't beat yourself up about it. I'd say that, if it is something you feel pressurised into (rather than genuinely preferring), a good starting point is awareness of that.

For all I say (and strongly believe at a feminist level) that grooming should be a personal choice, up until about five years ago I would never have felt comfortable going swimming or wearing shorts unless I had shaved my legs in the past day or two. What really changed things for me was motherhood. My body had done something amazing, plus I was super busy. And suddenly it didn't seem to matter half as much. I still generally choose to shave my legs but I no longer feel I have to to feel confident, and I wouldn't think twice about spontaneously taking my daughters swimming if I hadn't done them for a week, or two. Same with wearing make up. I love make-up, adore it, but I've moved to a place where walking out the door without it doesn't make me feel odd or uncomfortable. One day I might have a full face with eyeliner and another day nothing.

Maybe something to think about? Aside from anything else, it can be very liberating to feel that what you choose to spend your time doing is because you like it, not because you feel you have to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now