Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Milk production before birth.

(10 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Mon 10-Mar-14 17:38:54

I have read many threads on here over the last few months about women producing breast milk whilst they are pregnant and I'm just wondering whether this is something that happens to every woman?

I've got my CS in 10 days and haven't had any kind of milk/colostrum discharge during my pregnancy so now I'm panicking there isn't anything in my boobs!!

I know that's irrational but I just wish I'd had some leakage of some kind so I'd know there was definitely something in there.....

gunwalloe Mon 10-Mar-14 17:41:47

Don't worry about it ive fed 4 babys and have never leaked any milk I have no idea why, but at the same time ive never been able to express milk.

Jess03 Mon 10-Mar-14 17:56:04

Yes I was freaking as got nothing with dd1 but it all came in fine, don't worry, everyone's different.

Missvaughan85 Mon 10-Mar-14 18:00:53

I didn't leak any milk and fed daughter. Currently 17 weeks and haven't leaked anything so far. I assume it's not very one.

ChicaMomma Mon 10-Mar-14 18:03:44

I've had the same worries Writer- wondering why at 26 weeks there is no discharge at all!

I'm also really worried because my nipples are so fair and my areola (areolae?) are practically see through. Pink nipples and tiny transparent areolae. Dont laugh, but i've gotten my hubby to give them a good suck every evening to try and toughen them up. Just for a minute on each. You'd think that might cause some discharge but no!! I'm envious of people with the large brown nipples, you'd have to think it'll be easier for them?

Jess03 Mon 10-Mar-14 18:05:41

Well mine are large and brown and still nada until birth! Really I wouldn't sweat it at all!!

zoemaguire Mon 10-Mar-14 18:16:16

3 dc, nothing before birth, but so much milk afterwards that I filled local milk bank to overflowing last time! I wouldn't worry.

dats Mon 10-Mar-14 19:22:41

I'm 33+6 (errr...did I really just type that? confused) and I've had nowt either.

At my NCT breastfeeding session, we were told that whether or not you start squirting colostrum before the birth has no relevance as to your milk production, when it comes in on day 3 (or whenever it is).

So we should probably be glad we don't have to put up with that particular glamorous state smile

thecakeisalie Mon 10-Mar-14 19:51:19

I'd echo what others have said its not a sign you have no milk. It'll only be the clear colostrum at the moment and for the first 3-5 days afterwards until your actual milk comes in.

I successfully bf my two boys for nearly a year each and I don't leak in pregnancy but usually end up with plenty of milk.

Good luck with bfing!

missmagnum Mon 10-Mar-14 19:53:42

I had nothing before ds, he was 5 days late and born by c-section, no problems feeding at all. Don't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now