Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does of miscarriage reduce if heartbeat seen?

(7 Posts)
inmybelly Mon 10-Mar-14 11:05:44

I know this is probably an impossible question to answer. But last week I had a scan done at 6w1d and the heart beat was clearly visible.

Does seeing a heartbeat at that stage automatically mean there's a lower risk of miscarriage, or is it exactly as it would have been regardless?

I guess with the nausea and breast changes I'm getting my hopes up a and probably need to start being more realistic that I could still miscarry.

Jess03 Mon 10-Mar-14 11:08:51

I was told by my US fertility dr at 6 wks that after you see the heartbeat the mc chances fall to 3pc but then felt cheated as I did lose one at 9.5 wks, it's a very grey area. Fingers crossed for you!

OsMalleytheCat Mon 10-Mar-14 11:23:34

I had a few early scans from about 6-8 weeks and read somewhere that seeing a heartbeat resulted in a live birth (can't think of a better phrase) 98% of the time.

inmybelly Mon 10-Mar-14 11:45:55

Okay, well that's very reassuring! But I've also heard a few stories like yours Jess where the miscarriage has happened later. So I'm going to reserve being excited about it until the 12 week scan!

Tomkat79 Mon 10-Mar-14 11:48:04

Try not to focus too much on stats and statistics belly. They do your head in! Like jess I saw heartbeat at 8 weeks and then game over the next day. Then you end up feeing extra shite as feel in the super unlucky 2%.
Try to relax. There's nothing you can do but wait and hope. Good luck xx

inmybelly Mon 10-Mar-14 11:52:48

Cheers Tom. It's mental how through lack of any control over anything you hang on to a little glimmer of hope.

Okay, shall try and forget about it! Just want the next 5 weeks to fly by!!

squizita Mon 10-Mar-14 11:55:18

It rises after 8 weeks (if you have no other issues/risks) when a HB is seen.
After 12 weeks, they can foresee future problems by looking at the placenta, nuchal gap and bone structure so that is the real 'safety' check.
However there is no guarantee ever - which is why Drs are cautious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now