Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Feeling anxouis hubby started new job.

(12 Posts)
SweetPea86 Mon 10-Mar-14 08:59:57

Hi just after a bit of advise really. Hubby was made redundant in September which left him gutted. He's been in and out of work since then having to commute at least an hour for work on agency work. (He's a teacher). Any ways finally he got a job and starts next week. Couldn't be happier as the job is 5 min drive and permenant work.

BUT we know he won't be allowed any paternity which is fine rather him be in work. But I'm due in 5 weeks in those five weeks he gets the Easter hols off, but I just know I'll go in to labour afterwards lol. what if i go in to labour and he needs to be at hospital in work hours do you think they will be ok with this. He hasn't told them I'm pregnant yet as they strictly said only term time off.

I'm starting to freak out a little he was the only person I wanted at birth. Has any body else had similar experince

ForTheLoveOfSocks Mon 10-Mar-14 09:16:01

No matter what, he will be entitled to up to two weeks leave, it's just he won't be entitled to any pay during that time.

Maybe he could arrange to take only a few days off, and use the Easter holidays to do his lesson plans for the time off? If he approaches his manager with a solution it might go down better than him simply saying 'oh by the way...'

LastOneDancing Mon 10-Mar-14 09:17:17

Obviously nobody can know for sure, but it would be a harsh employer who wouldn't let an employee be present at the birth of their baby! I can't imagine he'd be at his working best if he knew you were labouring away without him!

Is it a school? Is he a teacher or support staff?

Personally I think he needs to let them know ASAP that he might need a day or two in the coming weeks. At least then they can prepare OR if they really do refuse, you can put an alternative plan in place.

peeapod Mon 10-Mar-14 09:18:10

yes, he should negoiate unpaid time off. Not ideal, but at least he will be there. im sure they will be understanding..

SweetPea86 Mon 10-Mar-14 09:19:55

Thanks yes that's a good idea. He's at work today unpaid as he's waiting for his crb check to come through. So he's gone in to meet every one and get a handle on paper work. So he's showing willing lol.

He's so layer back and is saying every thing will be fine lol he isn't some one who has lots of sick time off but I think he doesn't want to say any thing untill next week once he's started properly. But I worry they think he maybe should of said something before hand.

SweetPea86 Mon 10-Mar-14 09:28:13

It's not a school it's a training centre for children who have been expelled from school. Just rang him and told him to speak to his boss about it, like you said I can't see the company being that harsh that they wouldn't allow him time off for birth.

Maybe it's me over worrying?

He said he will speak to him today so hopefully it will be sorted. He's just too layed back lol and I'm a complete stress head, will update you once he tells them. smile thanks for advice

KitKat1985 Mon 10-Mar-14 11:18:53

I think it'll be a harsh employer that doesn't let him have time off for you giving birth! I'd suggest he lets them know asap though so they feel he's being open with them about it. You can't help the timing of these things sometimes!

As for paternity leave, I think (but not 100% sure) that he should still be entitled to 2 weeks paternity leave, but unpaid. xx

HelenHen Mon 10-Mar-14 15:29:14

He would absolutely be entitled to paternity leave... HOWEVER... There is a cut off point to apply for this... So many weeks before due date! I think it's longer than 5 weeks. Not sure where he stands starting a new job though! Hope it all goes well, legalities are only there to keep difficult employers in place!

SweetPea86 Mon 10-Mar-14 16:10:14

Hi again ladies, he spoke to his boss. Boss was fine told him not to worry and if he needed time off for my labour to just go and he will be fine. As for paternity I'm not so worried about because he's only 5 mins away and I have support from my mum etc. I was more worried about him jumping out of work if I go in to labour smile thanks for all your adivce

HelenHen Mon 10-Mar-14 16:16:52

Aww that's a relief I bet, not much a reasonable person could say but it's amazing the stories you hear. Both mil and sil have told their bosses that they may need to run if I go into Labour grin and they were just fine!

PenguinsEatSpinach Mon 10-Mar-14 16:27:12

Glad it is sorted.

At a legal level, you basically only get paternity leave if you don't change employers during the pregnancy. Need 26 weeks of service 15 weeks before the due date. Many employers offer it unpaid from day one though.

Again, at a legal level, I suspect being present for labour could be shoe horned into emergency care for leave of dependents. Though I have never heard of an employer who is such an arse as to try and stop the father being there.

LastOneDancing Mon 10-Mar-14 16:41:29

Great news Sweetpea.

Hope you can relax a bit now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now