Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anti-D query

(11 Posts)
mixi82 Mon 10-Mar-14 07:46:53

Hi, I'm rhesus -ve and I had an anti-d injection at about 17 weeks as I had a small bleed. The MW said I should have one if I bleed again. Anyway, me and DP had sex a couple days ago and today I noticed a blood again when I wiped, not huge amounts but still it was red blood. I'm wondering if this is due to having sex and whether I should get another anti-D? Surely I don't have to be jabbed each time I have a small bleed after sex?

I'm sure baby is fine, felt plenty of movement and no pains. I'm 22 wks now

Diamondsareagirls Mon 10-Mar-14 08:06:00

It is best to give your midwife a ring and check. It is probably fine but you can't be 100% sure of why there was blood and with rhesus -ve the risk isn't worth it.

StarsInTheNightSky Mon 10-Mar-14 08:06:09

I'm rhesus neg too, 28 weeks pregnant and I've had four injections of anti-D so far due to bleeds and a fall, and that isn't counting the routine one I've got to have this week. hmm
I would phone you maternity assessment unit or midwife and tell them what's happened, as usually the give you a blood test to check whether you need more anti-D or not. As far as I know the anti-D is good for one 'incident', so one bleed, one fall etc, and each time you have another incident, you usually have to have another injection. That has certainly been the case for me and each time I've still had usual baby movements and no pain.
It should apparently be given within 72 hours though, so I would phone as soon as you can to check, always best to be on the safe side smile.

SweetPea86 Mon 10-Mar-14 09:04:18

Hi Hun I would give your midwife or maternity unit a ring just to be on the safe side. I have same blood type I haven't had any bleeds but midwife did say if I do to ring straight away.

mixi82 Tue 11-Mar-14 18:35:19

Thanks everyone. Because I live in a village, my MW only visits the surgery on Mondays and Thursdays. I've never been given an out of hours phone number confused

Also, a bleed after sex is normal? If it brings on a bleed and I have to get an anti-D each time, I could be facing a lot of jabs! But for the sake of baby, of course sex would be off the cards

StarsInTheNightSky Tue 11-Mar-14 19:19:33

mixi in your maternity info pack, you ought to have a sheet of phone numbers for your appointed hospital, and one of them should be for the maternity assessment unit or delivery suite. (If you don't, the numbers will be on your hospital's website) The delivery suites are open and answer the phone 24/7, the mau's tend to be more daytime hours. They are both usually really nice and helpful, and have anti-D to hand, so I would just phone them straight away and don't bother contacting your midwife.

I always just phone through to the delivery suite (they told me to do that themselves) and it means you get an answer/advice straight away. It's not that my midwife isn't good (she's lovely) but it's much quicker to get an answer from the hospital. I've had to have anti-D for every last little thing, it is a faff to keep trekking to the hospital (ours is over an hours drive away as we live in the middle of nowhere) but it can be so dangerous if not sorted quickly.

I'm not sure whether bleeding after sex is normal as we've on no sex orders from our consultant, but I think it can be quite common and is often just very minor cervical erosion. I would mention it to the next health care professional you see though, just in case.

StarsInTheNightSky Tue 11-Mar-14 19:21:44

Oh,and just wanted to say that it's really bad you haven't been given an out of hours number, do they think pregnancy is a 9 -5 thing?! hmm

PervyMuskrat Tue 11-Mar-14 21:45:11

I've bled after sex this pg too and had to have the Anti D so we've decided not to have PIV sex as the hassle involved in getting the Anti D each time (not to mention the stress of bleeding) is just too much. It's frustrating but we'll just have to make do wink

And YY to making sure you have out of hours numbers - check your handheld notes as mine are on the inside front cover.

mixi82 Wed 12-Mar-14 10:25:08

So I've taken all your advice and I called labour ward this morning. I've been lying on a bed in one of the wards for the last hour having checks and obs. Just waiting for doctor to see me, possible internal examination and a scan so will see. My obs are fine and baby heart beat is fine too, so good news so far

StarsInTheNightSky Wed 12-Mar-14 10:55:02

mixi I'm really glad to hear you're being looked after and great news that you and baby are doing well so far x.

mixi82 Thu 13-Mar-14 10:13:11

Still in the hospital sad even though it was a small bleed they wanted to keep me in incase it got worse. They found there was bleeding coming from inside my cervix but they said it's not a huge concern. Most of bleeding stopped and has gone brownish so hopefully I can go home soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now