Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity leave

(20 Posts)
HumTeach1012 Sun 09-Mar-14 22:39:37

Hello. What are people's thoughts on how long should be taken off? I'm only 9+4 but being a schoolteacher and planning for next year I wondered what people thought. I know it highly depends on money and circumstances but would like some ideas. Xx

Clearlymisunderstood Sun 09-Mar-14 22:54:47

I took 10 months last time (9 months maternity and 1 month holiday) would have loved to have taken more tbh but finances wouldn't allow. No way could I have envisaged myself going back before 6/7 months simply because I wasn't getting anywhere near enough sleep to be able to function properly at work.

GingerMaman Sun 09-Mar-14 23:15:26

It's entirely up to you. Just be open minded though.

I planned to take a year. At 6 months though I was definitely ready to go back, but baby wasn't so couldn't go back (cows milk allergy and won't take a bottle, and very fussy too). So sometimes it's out of ones control too.

MrsMonkeyBear Mon 10-Mar-14 05:47:07

I'm 8+3 and in the same boat. Due to my job though, I plan on starting my mat leave as early as possible. I'm only taking 6 months post baby, so 9 months total. I'm quite lucky, I only work morning and MIL is doing child care for us. X x x

Tea1Sugar Mon 10-Mar-14 06:49:50

I'm a teacher and my leave starts today at 34 weeks :D. I'm taking 11months so will go back at February half term.

PuppyMummy Mon 10-Mar-14 06:52:19

teacher here too. im hoping not to go until 39 weeks and then im having 7 months.

FairyPenguin Mon 10-Mar-14 06:54:22

I went back to work when DD was 7 months old, and then when DS was nearly 9 months old. Personally felt that 8-9 months was best for us, as it's before their separation anxiety develops. 7 months was fine but it did feel like she was so young, but it could also have been because she was our PFB! I actually wanted the whole year off second time around but we knew it would be harder for DS to settle into nursery at 11-12 months old (previous experience with multiple friends and their DC).

YuccanLiederHorticulture Mon 10-Mar-14 07:05:27

There's no "should" - it's whatever works best for your and your family and you don't HAVE to choose before you go (employers like you to but they can't force it). Anything up to 9 months and they have to keep the same job open for you. More than that and they can transfer you to a "similar" position instead.

You don't mention whether there is a DH/DP in the equation but if there is, then you could consider taking a smaller amount of leave e.g. 5 months yourself and then transferring the remainder of your entitlement (including entitlement to mat pay) to the baby's father so that you can go back to work without the baby needing to go into childcare till he/she is a bit older.

Writerwannabe83 Mon 10-Mar-14 07:07:49

I'm taking 9 months paid maternity leave, one month of paid annual leave and then 2 months unpaid leave.

callamia Mon 10-Mar-14 07:12:42

I'm taking six months, and then my husband is taking an extra two. I work in education too, and I will be largely able to work at home over the summer hols, my husband will have AL to take. He will start nursery at 11m.

We're doing this for financial reasons; I earn more, so we can't really afford to lose my wage completely after six months. Six months really doesn't feel very long, but I'm happy that my husband will be taking over.

dashoflime Mon 10-Mar-14 07:17:13

I took 9 months because thats how long Maternity Allowance lasts for and that was enough for me. I was -climbing the walls with boredom more than ready to come back at that point.
I planned to work untill 2 weeks before my due date andthat didn't work out at all! In the last month I was literally too hormonal to be any use in a workplace and having a horrible time. A nice midwife suggested I pack it in and I was more than happy to take her advice.

noblegiraffe Mon 10-Mar-14 07:31:29

I'm a teacher and took a year off both times. First time I planned to work till 39 weeks up to the summer holidays, but that was a really bad idea as I could barely walk by then and I struggled on, only to end up going off three days before I'd planned.

Second time I went off at 37 weeks which was better, and because of the Christmas holidays I actually stopped work at 35 weeks.

In terms of separation anxiety, my first had it badly, but settled in at the childminder after a few days. Kept crying as I dropped him off for a few weeks but only to show me! My second didn't really have separation anxiety at all, was happy from the first day.

barebranches Mon 10-Mar-14 07:38:52

im a teacher doing 11 months. Dd born early feb and going back just before christmas hols.

ohthegoats Mon 10-Mar-14 07:41:10

I'm a teacher and due at the end of September. If things work out, I'm hoping to be able to go back after the summer, but it all depends. I'm deputy, and have some involvement in HR and budget decisions - I'll suggest they get someone in to cover me from September (since I work in year 6). I'll go back after Easter or May half term, depending on child. I can't afford, and don't want, to take a full year. At the moment, I'm the main earner in the family, so we need to make some decisions about 'how' I go back.

Petal26 Mon 10-Mar-14 08:56:09

I'm a teacher too, due mid November so hoping to work until October half term and then go back the following September.

SweetPea86 Mon 10-Mar-14 09:01:35

I'm taking a year and 1 month by the time I go bk after Christmas I will have annual leave so my manager said I can add it to my time off.

Petal26 Mon 10-Mar-14 09:02:16

Forgot to say I went back last time when DD1 was 9 1/2 months and she was fine, I was doing supply work before I got pregnant and it just worked out that I got a more permanent job when she was that age.

HumTeach1012 Tue 11-Mar-14 22:53:04

Wow, thank you so much everyone for the advice. It's all quite scary! I'm totally still undecided but have lots to think about now! I've got plenty time but just like being so organised! Xx

icklekid Wed 12-Mar-14 05:17:22

I'm also a teacher due beginning of July which is a shame as large part of maternity is over summer holidays hoping to work until end of June and take 9 months (will make use of kit days towards end to be able to afford it) probably go back after easter...

JuniorMint Wed 12-Mar-14 07:12:09

I'm a teacher too, currently 31+3. I am finishing at the Easter holidays when I will be 35 weeks, however my leave start date is in as first day after the holidays when I will be 37 weeks. Toyed with the idea of coming back for a week after the holidays, but decided once I'd hit the holidays I would totally switch off, plus my class will be covered for the new Summer Term.

I'm taking a year off, so will return at the Easter holidays 2015. Have been scrimping and saving furiously since BFP in September to ensure I can do this!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now