Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Positive Pregnancy test after 2 miscarriages

(13 Posts)
silverine7 Sun 09-Mar-14 21:00:28

Hi
I had 2 early-stage miscarriages in short succession at the end of 2012 and early 2013. Took a bit of a break after the second time. We had some tests and all came back normal, so I think stress might have been a contributor. But we started trying again last autumn.
This month I did two pregnancy tests - first 4 days before my period was due and then 2 days both came negative. So I thought it hadn't worked and had a glass of wine a couple of night. Then when my period was 3 days late and I tested again and came positive.
Now I'm worried because of the drink and also I did lots of housework the day before I found out, and it was stressful as we had people visiting and had to rush...
I'm also thinking, could the reason for the two early test coming negative have been too low levels of hormones... Because of the miscarriages, all sorts of scenarios swirl in my head...

squizita Sun 09-Mar-14 21:11:40

thanks Congrats!

If it's any comfort... I'm 13+2 after 3 losses and I found out similarly to you (with a drink between the neg and pos tests as it was New year) so evidently all was OK! Sometimes the hormones just take time to get into the urine.

Don't worry too much about stress: the 'everyone knows' knowledge on that was pushed about after the war to get women out of work (very political medicine for women back then) and has hung around since.

I believe from the miscarriage assoc website that even after 2 you have the same chance as any other woman of your age/general health of success so fx for you.

It can be such an incredibly stressful time though: there is a posifrickentivity thread on this board you might want to visit for comfort and empathy. smile smile We all know what it's like checking knickers and stressing out. And we've had several thread babies recently which is lovely !

plokett1 Sun 09-Mar-14 21:18:53

Congrats! Don't worry urself too much. I had 2 mc also and im now 35 weeks along! I knew i was pregnant but DP wouldnt let me do a test early to confirm and begged me to do normal things until we knew. I had a week away drinking eating seafood and doing activities i shouldnt and then found out after a night of too much alcohol! So obviously wouldnt advise all the above but everything is good and you just have to stay positive! Hope this ones a sticky one for u!

silverine7 Sun 09-Mar-14 21:19:50

Thanks for your message! Congrats on your pregnancy - you must have been relieved after the 12 week scan!
I know if I'm being rational that I shouldn't worry and that each following pregnancy has as god a chance as any, just can't help over-analysing everything!
I even took up acupuncture as I've heard it helps. I had my first session after the 2 negative test and I have my second one tomorrow, so will have to say it's a change of plan.
Anyone had acupuncture for pregnancy, by the way? I found the first session left me really tense rather than relaxed.

silverine7 Mon 10-Mar-14 20:47:42

After the positive test on saturday, I tested again today and it came negative... 4 times... sad Could it have been a false alarm? Still no period (it was due last Wednesday)...

Boogles91 Mon 10-Mar-14 22:31:57

Me and my farther in law shared a bottle of brandy the week before i found out 0.0 and it wernt the cheap stuff either lol but i am now 21wks and lil man is fighting fit in there smile as my mum said hes got his bottle of superglue and isnt going anywhere until hes ready :p xx

MabelMay Tue 11-Mar-14 03:59:25

silverine No idea - but I'd get it checked by your doctor - they can do urine and blood tests to make sure definitively whether you're pg or not. Good luck.

silverine7 Tue 11-Mar-14 12:24:30

Thanks, got the nurse's appt tomorrow am, they had nothing sooner... Will have to handle a full day at work today, including external meetings! Harumph! Worst it the helplessness of knowing there is nothing u can do....

happytimes10 Tue 11-Mar-14 17:19:39

Pregnant after two MMC last year sad tremendously hard not to worry even more so being that I'm 41. Had two blood drawn work ups numbers are going up.... I guess the scary thing is is that this is the same so far as the last two. I've got a lot of hope and trying to keep my faith. But I can relate.

LondonJen Tue 11-Mar-14 17:54:08

I hope you get answers soon Silver been thinking of you.

Happy if you'd like any support do pop on to the thread on this board for ladies pregnant after miscarriage, even if just for a read if you don't fancy joining in the chat. All of us on there have been through mc and know how scary it is to find yourself pg again. I'm sorry for what you've been through. You'll find lots of hand holding if you need it x

silverine7 Tue 11-Mar-14 20:30:43

Mabel and LondonJen thanks for the good wishes!

Unfortunately, my period did arrive this afternoon... So within the week, I've been going "Shit... Yay! Shit...." of negative, then positive, then negative PG tests.

I still have my nurse appt tomorrow morning, but wonder if they will stillbe able to verify if I was pregnant or not and if any HCG would show still. They might not believe me I had a positive test or that my period was a week late... In that case, would it still register as a MC?? hmm

happy welcome and keep well, you've made it thus far. Put on Bon Jovi's Keep the Faith - never fails to cheer me up! thanks

MabelMay Wed 12-Mar-14 18:12:06

Hey silverine so sorry to hear this - how do you know it's your period and not a miscarriage? Was the blood at all clotted?
You got a bfp so I can only think that you must have been pregnant at some point - unless chemical...?

Anyway Im' really very sorry that you've found yourself in this place and have my fingers crossed that you get that BFP and a lasting, healthy pregnancy really soon. I had two MCs last year, so totally empathise with you.

silverine7 Wed 12-Mar-14 21:59:00

Hi Mabel I have no idea really... No clots, just bright red, but had no bleeds with my MCs either (at 8 and 10 weeks), so that's no good for comparison...
I guess there must have been something there for AF to be 8 days late, but the nurse today had no clue. She asked a doctor on duty and he said any possible PG would still show weeks later (what rubbish!) and there was no point doing blood HCG test.
So i guess will never know for sure, just carry on - with DTD and acupuncture!
Mabel thanks for the good wishes and best of luck to you too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now