Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

had a miscarriage but not sure if I'm pregnant again please help

(15 Posts)
caz2013xx Sun 09-Mar-14 17:12:41

Hi I had a miscarriage 4 weeks ago and was told it was a early miscarriage and would be safe to try as soon as the bleeding has stopped it stopped three weeks ago and me and my husband have been trying again all my pregnancy symptoms went within the first week of the miscarriage and for the last three days my boobs have become sore I feel sick all the time and always going toilet and have white discharge sorry for that could I have fallen pregnant that fast and when would be best to test as not sure when or if I will get a period thank u all

MyNameIsKenAdams Sun 09-Mar-14 17:16:57

How early a MC was it? Is it possible that you had a bleed rather than a MC? Could you have been carryong two babies and have lost one?

squizita Sun 09-Mar-14 17:20:35

I would test at about 4-5 weeks after the end of your MC heavy bleed however if you get a positive ask your doc for an early scan. You need to check it's an actual new pregnancy. In most cases it will be fine! smile

They usually recommend 1 period in between to reduce this confusion. In most cases falling pregnant before isn't an issue, but sometimes HCG stays high if there are 'retained materials' (tiny bits of placenta left) and these can hamper recovery (they can be easily sorted once they know). Also something called 'molar pregnancy' but this is incredibly rare.

squizita Sun 09-Mar-14 17:22:51

...sorry just realised that's scary... it's most likely nothing but please do get it checked, I had retained partial molar materials and needed hospital monitoring.
Now - I'm pregnant again and all normal. So even if you're not pregnant straight away there's light at the end of the tunnel!

Armadale Sun 09-Mar-14 17:24:47

Hello, I am currently 18 weeks pregnant in a PG that was conceived 2 weeks after a MC.(I got a positive pg test 4 weeks after the start of the MC, if that makes sense).

I have also had other MC in the past and it has taken months to conceive again afterwards although I felt really pregnant before this I wasn't- I think the hormones in first couple of cycles after a MC can be all over the shop and it can be very confusing.

I think your sore boobs, nausea etc could be early PG symptoms, or could be your hormones in a state and trying to regulate your cycle rather than a pregnancy, it isn't really possible to say without a test.

I don't suppose the advice you were given after the MC included the really helpful idea that you should get a negative PG test before you start trying to conceive again, did it? For some reason they don't give this advice often enough.

((The problem is without this negative test it is hard to know whether if you get a positive test now it is positive because of a new pregnancy, or positive because of hormones from the last pregnancy)).

I would say with an early pregnancy loss, you are more than likely to get a negative test by now, as it is unlikely to still be old hormones hanging around, and so I would test to see what it says. If it is negative you know either that you aren't pregnant (and therefore can trust any future tests to be accurate if they are positive) or it is too early in the pregnancy to get a positive, and test again in a few days time.

As a rough rule of thumb, docs tend to add +1 week to conception dates if you conceive straight after a miscarriage without a period in between. eg if you normally have a 28 day cycle and ovulate on day 14, they would assume you had ovulated on day 21. So it might be possible to be pregnant but as it is only 4 weeks since the miscarriage, it might not show up on a test till you are nearly 5 weeks as this would really only be 2 weeks since ovulation.

Does that make sense?

thanks to you...it is really hard ttc emotionally after a mc x

caz2013xx Sun 09-Mar-14 17:26:17

Hi I had my hormone levels checked and went bk down very fast the think I was only 2-3 weeks pregnant my last blood test was 6 and she said that was normal and it was safe to try again just so confused as to when test xx

Pregnantagain7 Sun 09-Mar-14 19:12:51

Hi Caz I've been through exactly what you are going through twice and both times I was pregnant again. About five weeks after my mc's I realised I hadn't had a period tested and got bfp.Had an early scan with the second to check I had def mced before. Didn't need one with the first because they scanned me straight after my mc.

I would test now if it's more than four weeks since your mc.
Good luck I hope you get the result you want smile

Boogles91 Sun 09-Mar-14 19:41:18

How do you guys do it so soon after a mc lol it took me and my hubby a year after having one! I felt all bruised up there lol so couldnt really enjoy it xx

Pregnantagain7 Sun 09-Mar-14 20:05:15

Boogles- my three mcs were all at around 6 weeks I had no medical intervention and they were like very heavy periods so maybe that's why physically I felt fine. Emotionally I wasn't and I think I found dtd made me feel closer to dh and kind of comforted if that makes sense?
Also being totally honest the second time we knew that there was a good chance I would get pregnant again so we went for it! Both pregnancy s were successful and are now 3y and 5 months oldsmile

caz2013xx Sun 09-Mar-14 21:03:42

Boggles mine was a very early miscarriage at first I thought it was my period as was the same time it was during but was very light a first and knew it wasn't right and that's when I tested and it came back positive I went hospital and was told it was a very early miscarriage so in a way it wasn't a planned pregnancy but now I have been through a hard time it's made me and my husband want to try for another baby I did a lot of crying and screaming and asking y me but some how planning another has made me come to terms with my loss I will always have a special place for the baby I lost and will never forget it my little angel was needed elsewhere hope that makes sense also I think I'm going to wait a week or so and see if the symptoms carry on and do a test I'm scared to be getting my hopes up and feel down if it's negative I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. Xx

Pregnantagain7 Sun 09-Mar-14 21:23:06

Will keep everything crossed for you smile

caz2013xx Sun 09-Mar-14 21:47:18

Thank you hun I'm so hoping it all works out ok and keep me update on ur baby bump hun it's really helped knowing there is someone with a happy ending smile

BluegrassLass Sun 09-Mar-14 22:25:15

That's exactly the situation I'm in caz. I got a BFP on Jan. 3, but then I started bleeding heavily 2 days later and was told this was an early mc (a HPT I took on the 8th came back negative). I was only about 2-3 weeks at the most.

Then 2 weeks later, I felt the minor discomfort I get when I ovulate and OH and I dtd (it was his birthday too). Then I got a BFP on Feb. 6th, after I started having sore boobs. So here I am now almost 8weeks (they used the last that I bled during the mc as my LMP date to estimate). Just to make sure I really am pregnant (and it wasn't residual hormones), I took another HPT last week and it was positive.

So it can and does happen!

Irishmammybread Sun 09-Mar-14 23:10:05

I ovulated(and conceived) 14 days after an early miscarriage,I was charting my temp so knew for sure when ovulation occurred.

caz2013xx Mon 10-Mar-14 11:52:15

Thank u all I'm so hoping I do fall pregnant soon I'm going to wait 3 weeks and see if I have a period if not going to test and hoping to get a positive result smile it's so nice to hear some great out comes after a miscarriage think that's what keeps me strong to know there is light at the end thank u all xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now