Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What was the first thing you bought for your baby?

(16 Posts)
lyns31 Sun 09-Mar-14 17:09:26

Having had my anomaly scan I've braved buying a bit for lo. It's a bit silly though. A soft elephant that will be about 3 times baby's size when she's born. I figure she'll grow up with it and it won't be so silly.
What was your first purchase?

Mumof3xx Sun 09-Mar-14 17:10:09

First things were basic bits

Unisex vest and sleepsuits

stargirl1701 Sun 09-Mar-14 17:11:06

The book 'When the World Was Waiting for You'.

BikeRunSki Sun 09-Mar-14 17:12:16

Travel System, guy at DH's work was selling it. Hated it, felt pushed into buying it.

squizita Sun 09-Mar-14 17:24:10

Haven't bought anything out of superstitious fear! (Past problems).

DH made me buy a maternity bra and prune juice as I was even suffering because of my silly superstitions!! blush

lyns31 Sun 09-Mar-14 18:13:37

Squizita, I only just bought a couple of maternity bras. Am 18 weeks + 4 and my poor boobs were so crushed in my old bra that I put on one of the new bras in the changing rooms and just put my top and coat on and went and paid for it. Refused to put the old one back on.

Bike, that's awful. Hate being pressured like that.

Stargirl, that sounds cute. Will have to look at that.

Mumof3, I get too tearful looking at the tiny clothes to get to the till yet.

MyNameIsKenAdams Sun 09-Mar-14 18:16:03

Aside from maternity wear, first item was a set of four muslin swaddling sheets from Aden & Anais. I told DH they were £9 but neglected to tell them that was each grin

In fairness, they got used for every sleep for five months and are still in immaculate condition for this baby coming.

Next was some tiny clothes from h&m

icklekid Sun 09-Mar-14 18:18:00

A moses basket and stand from ebay :-) followed by paint for the nursery!

kateecass Sun 09-Mar-14 18:20:10

Ah, I still remember the first thing I bought DS. A little squidgy toy hippo. I still have it and he is a 7 yo! I had lots of probs before actually conceiving him. Can't remember if I bought that toy before anomaly scan. I know I was superstitious for a long time but once I started I got into it quickly. I remember sitting in his nursery staring at the cute outfits and the amazing feeling after the years I'd spent think

kateecass Sun 09-Mar-14 18:21:19

Oops.

...thinking I'd never get to that point!

Shellywelly1973 Sun 09-Mar-14 18:23:07

3 girlie babygros from sainsbury!

FTRsGotAShinyNewNN Sun 09-Mar-14 18:32:54

I have a MIL who likes to be the 'first' at everything so as soon as we found out I was pregnant DH and I bought a little toy giraffe for the baby, unfortunately I had a MC at 12 wks. I was lucky enough to fall pregnant again 3 months later and the giraffe is now DSs (5) best friend smile

BonaDea Sun 09-Mar-14 18:36:26

I bought two little Kath kidston vests with rabbits on and the matching pram blanket. The blanket is still used for daytime naps and ds is nearly 1!

blurredlines Sun 09-Mar-14 18:56:09

I am 19 weeks and brought a 2nd hand icandy peach last week. It's a year old and in immaculate condition for £250!
Managed to talk dh into it by saying it's probably the most expensive thing we would have to buy and told him the cost price new.

MissSlackPants84 Sun 09-Mar-14 19:22:20

Plain white vests...staple wardrobe for any child

AgadorSpartacus Sun 09-Mar-14 19:25:17

A pair of rabbit bootees with enormous ears.

Ds wore them, then DD, now they're in the keepsake box. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now