Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is pre packed sandwiches and butter ok to eat??

(5 Posts)
Kcjs14 Fri 07-Mar-14 14:45:23

A quick question is butter and prepacked sandwiches ok?? I haven't read anywhere not to eat them but on the NHs website it says butter and pre packed sandwiches are one of the main listeria sources.

Food is making me totally paranoid!

agirlcalledsandoz Fri 07-Mar-14 14:48:00

I'm sure it's fine. I ate them when pregnant

ilovepowerhoop Fri 07-Mar-14 14:52:08

yes they are fine

eurochick Fri 07-Mar-14 15:00:31

But they don't appear on the NHS "avoid when pregnant" list. I don't like pre-packed sandwiches but would eat them if I did. I'm eating butter.

squizita Fri 07-Mar-14 15:07:50

On the NHS website it says they are a known source but it is so rare that yes you can - it's more making the point that many things are! Both pages (confusingly there are 2) are full of comments like: "Some other sites (maybe from other countries such as the USA) may suggest that you avoid pre-packed meats in pregnancy but here in the UK we do not."

I have read them obsessively well so am familiar. I eat packaged sandwiches and butter.

This one has a Q&A facility you may find useful (the top comment is saying pre-packed pasta salad is OK for example): [http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx#close]

This one is not interactive but also useful: [http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/917.aspx?CategoryID=54#close]

Because the web is so international, I only go by NHS. Things like refridgeration regulations in different countries affect their lysteria risks (hence some countries have a longer forbidden list) so it's not just cultural: thankfully our laws are mega strict!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now